banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VH Pickups, Pete Thorn, and a lot of sounds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH Pickups, Pete Thorn, and a lot of sounds!

So I watched this early this morning. Very interesting and a lot to chew on.

Give it a watch and let's discuss.

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I have to say - The SuperDistortion in the Destroyer was impressive.

I really liked the 78 and less so, the CC from Duncan. 59 wasn't bad as the brighter pups went

Overall I was not a fan of most of the A5's. I seemed to prefer A2 EVH's

I get why I like playing VH songs on my SUperD Les Pauls now!

Comment

I was surprised and disappointed by the Super 70's. Of the A2 pups,I liked the Custom Custom and the Thornbucker A2 prototype best. I have SH5's in 2 of my guitars and love them but, I'm going to put a Super Distortion and a PAF Pro in my Ibanez SZ320. I liked the Bare Knuckle VH II best of the A5 pickups.

Comment

Of course, this all depends on the amp too. But it was a really nice relatively relative comparison.

Comment

Epic as usual from Pete, he's really got the tones and licks down.

I'd agree that the amp is still the most important element - pickups/guitars add different nuances to sustain, attack, and overall timbre.

For me, the high dcr pups sounded best through the overall setup, whether ceramic or alnico - they seem to have the most satisfying low/mid and sustain. 7-8k ones sounded more scooped to my ear, regardless of magnet, and amplified things like pick attack and other resonances more (springs, strings ringing behind the nut). Kinda wish they tried a 59/Custom hybrid (regular 59 was no slouch, imo).

I also did a double take when he played the Destroyer with the Super D - what a tone, pfft, I'm surprising no buildings were levelled due to awesomeness.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Surprisingly to me, the TV Jones in the Destroyer sounded really good, though the SD was dead on for certain songs. Also surprisingly (or maybe not), the '78 Model was only good for a couple VH1 songs and nothing else. Custom Custom was just ok-ish.

The Wolfgang, Frankenstein, Custom and Mighty Mite 1300 covered most everything really really well to me. The Rewind and Motor City were admirably close on a lot of parts also.

I had to listen in 30 minute chunks to avoid ear fatigue. Also helps to refer to the original tracks in between. I don't have the best listening environment right now, however, so the actual audio tracks could sound significantly different on a better system.

The IM1 wasn't represented, though the theory is it's just the Frankenstein. There are other 'VH" types that were missing also.
            Last edited by beaubrummels; 06-15-2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Listening to it in headphones at work, wow, the Super D in the Destroyer totally nails it. Haven't gotten past the Destroyer yet.

Comment

The SH-5 Custom in the swamp ash Strat with the 6 hole trem.

The MM1300 in the Destroyer.

(The MM1300 is a clone of the DiM SD)

(The SH-5 and the DiM SD have similar specs)

1984 tone is SH-11 Custom Custom with the Floyd trem.

/fin
                Last edited by LLL; 06-15-2021, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I think we will all have favorites. Still, it was pretty easy to distinguish ones I liked and ones I didn't.

I agree - for me, the PAF's were generally not my favorites.

Comment

Makes me wonder if that 'no difference between JBs' shootout would have worked. Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      Makes me wonder if that 'no difference between JBs' shootout would have worked. Hmm...
                      I bet if you pay Pete to do it, he would.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Do I have to sell a Les Paul to pay him?

Comment

Patience Grasshopper....all things in time.

Comment

Do I have to sell a Les Paul to pay him?
                            At least, I would suppose. And provide some pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                              The SH-5 Custom in the swamp ash Strat with the 6 hole trem.

The MM1300 in the Destroyer.

(The MM1300 is a clone of the DiM SD)

(The SH-5 and the DiM SD have similar specs)

1984 tone is SH-11 Custom Custom with the Floyd trem.

/fin
                              Did you watch the video or are you just making historical statements?

Comment

Working...
                              X