Anyone tried an A2 in a Screamin' Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried an A2 in a Screamin' Demon

Watching Pete's VH pickup shoot out got me to wondering about this, I really liked the A2 pickups and had an A2 JB that I really liked years ago, and I do remember liking the CC. The stock Demon has a lot of "knock" on the low end, is scooped in the middle, and the high definitely cut. Maybe an A2 would round off the highs some and add some mids back, don't really want to loose the character on the bottom end though.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I think I have an A2 magnet somewhere, but no Demons laying around.

part of the character of the sd is the 10k wind of #43 wire and the pole pieces. a5 does add some heft to the bottom though. maybe uoa5 would be a good place to start. soften the highs and add some mids without losing all the a5 bottom end

Comment

I didn't care for A2 in a Demon because it was too much midrange at high gain. RCUOA5 was better, A6 was good, and A8 was the best.

Comment

A8 is the best

Comment

Thanks guys! Maybe it is best in it's stock form with the 43 AWG wind.

Comment

You know, an easier similar trick is just to put a row of hexes in a Custom Custom. You'll be surprised.

Comment

I've done that to JBs and Tone Zones, not tried it on a CC.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                I've done that to JBs and Tone Zones, not tried it on a CC.
                How did the JB sound change with hex pole-pieces?

Comment

It's been a few years, I don't remember exactly, I don't think it was a huge change. It tightened up the lows on the TZ a little, but it's not going to make a night and day difference.

Comment

i am currently have a double thick A5 in a TB-12, but can't tell much (other than it's has more output now, which is kind of obvious), since there was a month long playing break between the swap.
                    plan is to try one of the RCA5s i own in it and also an A4 and an A6.
                    currently playing other guitars though.
                    i also fear A2 will be too far away from the stock sound which i actually really dig (depending on the guitar).
                    Also replacing the 3 hexes on the treble strings is on my (too long) to do list...

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                      I didn't care for A2 in a Demon because it was too much midrange at high gain. RCUOA5 was better, A6 was good, and A8 was the best.
                      I only tried the A8 in it, but for me it was just another A8 pickup (mental note for me: Put the Alt8 for sale!). I recently discovered the goods of an A6 magnet. So I try A6 and UOA5 magnets.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I seem to remember trying A2 and UOA5 in a Demon years ago, and did not like either magnet in it much. If I remember right, the UOA5's EQ was good, but it lowered the output more than I expected.

Comment

Seems like double UA5 might be a good fit for the Demon.
                          I procured a doublethick UA5/A6 hybrid intending to put it in my Perpetual Burn.
                          Maybe I should try it in the Demon instead...
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Another vote for UOA5. They've become my favorite magnet. Demon's are kind of bright & thin, and an UOA5 makes them great for classic rock & blues.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                            X