banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried a Whole Lotta Humbucker Neck with a SH-5 Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried a Whole Lotta Humbucker Neck with a SH-5 Custom?

It's for a PRS SE Custom 22 with 85/15 S pickups that are OK sounding but slightly dull...

I've tried a '59 before in my Les Paul and found it too clean & slightly boomy... Never tried a Jazz but I would imagine it to be even cleaner with slightly less bass. I also tried a Alnico II Pro before in my Les Paul, and it was nice & smooth but was too modern sounding, not what I was looking for. I ended up with a Pearly Gates set which are NEVER leaving that guitar, but in my PRS I want something different that will match well with a SH-5 Custom.

I've never tried it with a SH-5, but i have an Orville LPC with a Custom 8 in the bridge and a WLH in the neck...matches up well and sounds great.
    Quality riffs in about a minute...
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

i think youd be fine with the wlh neck and custom bridge

Comment

Ha, what a journey. See my recent "d@mn these 85/15 pickups" thread.

Anybody replace their 85/15 pickups? I love the neck position both tapped and not but I find myself wishing the bridge position had a different sonic character, maybe a little more PAF-ish or a little more vocal-ish like the JB or a Norton. It's quite neutral and balanced which is fine but just isn't that pleasing to my ears.

I've had the guitar 1.5 years now and am still figuring out how they fit and to use them. They don't have the vintage cluckey mojo that PAFs or single coils seem to have... they're more like a compressed P90. Recently I discovered some really magical sounds on the bridge pickup with the tone knob between 1 and 3, though. Very stratty. It's almost like there's compression and EQ already applied to them. This is working in my favor recently because I'm running the SE Custom and a bass guitar into a looper and the looper into a full frequency amplifier. Most guitars sound flat into those kinds of amps (because they lack the voicing of a guitar amp), but the SE Custom sounds like a guitar should into that amp. Go figure. Also, the 85/15s sound best to me lowered to be pretty much flush with the pickup rings.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
          I've never tried it with a SH-5, but i have an Orville LPC with a Custom 8 in the bridge and a WLH in the neck...matches up well and sounds great.
          I've experimented with the Custom 8 in the past, flatter eq with rounder Highs & Lows than the Custom with similar output. More modern sounding than the Custom but I didn't like how it compressed (Not that the Custom is not Compressed...). I remember it sounded huge, but if it paired well with a Whole Lotta Humbucker neck, a Custom should match well too, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i think youd be fine with the wlh neck and custom bridge
            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
              Ha, what a journey. See my recent "d@mn these 85/15 pickups" thread.

Anybody replace their 85/15 pickups? I love the neck position both tapped and not but I find myself wishing the bridge position had a different sonic character, maybe a little more PAF-ish or a little more vocal-ish like the JB or a Norton. It's quite neutral and balanced which is fine but just isn't that pleasing to my ears.

I've had the guitar 1.5 years now and am still figuring out how they fit and to use them. They don't have the vintage cluckey mojo that PAFs or single coils seem to have... they're more like a compressed P90. Recently I discovered some really magical sounds on the bridge pickup with the tone knob between 1 and 3, though. Very stratty. It's almost like there's compression and EQ already applied to them. This is working in my favor recently because I'm running the SE Custom and a bass guitar into a looper and the looper into a full frequency amplifier. Most guitars sound flat into those kinds of amps (because they lack the voicing of a guitar amp), but the SE Custom sounds like a guitar should into that amp. Go figure. Also, the 85/15s sound best to me lowered to be pretty much flush with the pickup rings.

I've tried to like the 85/15 S pickups for 4 years now, and I've experimented with the pickup heights multiple times trying to make me like it more. There's nothing wrong with them, they just don't sound like anything... They don't sound modern but at the same time are too high output & compressed to sound vintage. They can sing but can be dull at the same time if that makes any sense... And I found that they don't split very well, too bright and harsh...

Comment

Those 2 pickups should go well together. You don't get a lot of mids, but it sounds like that's not your thing, anyway. The WLH is great for those who want a PAF-type in the neck with more power and compression.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Those 2 pickups should go well together. You don't get a lot of mids, but it sounds like that's not your thing, anyway. The WLH is great for those who want a PAF-type in the neck with more power and compression.
                  My favorite pickup set is the Duncan Pearly Gates and I love the mids! But I have them in a Fender HH Strat and in a Les Paul Custom already. I also have a Custom Custom in a Kramer Baretta (That are just 80s Mids!) so I wanted something different and slightly more output for my PRS Custom 22... Any other suggestions?
                  Last edited by MasterKtulu; 06-16-2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

For what it's worth, on my Godin xtsa, I have a neck PAF Pro and a TB-5 at bridge. Really nice match in my opinion.

Comment

WLH - Custom
                      WLH - 59/Custom

Between the Custom and the 59/Custom, I prefer the 59/Custom. For me, it is slightly smoother, more open, and has a slightly lower output. Might be worth your effort to check this pickup out.

Tried the WLH - 59 / Custom in my LPC. Sounded fantastic, just not I wanted for the guitar [ it has a 36 Anniv. set right now ]. The pair then migrated to my PRS Santana SE.

My PRS Santana Se sounded almost lifeless, and the WLH - 59/ Custom made this guitar come alive. The pickups play really well together and sound fantastic.

As for the original posting, I've also had the WLH - Custom in one of my SG's. They work really well together.
                      That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                      And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterKtulu View Post

My favorite pickup set is the Duncan Pearly Gates and I love the mids! But I have them in a Fender HH Strat and in a Les Paul Custom already. I also have a Custom Custom in a Kramer Baretta (That are just 80s Mids!) so I wanted something different and slightly more output for my PRS Custom 22... Any other suggestions?
                        You can always try a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge, which is a great pickup that doesn't feel too compressed.

Comment

I've tried to like the 85/15 S pickups for 4 years now, and I've experimented with the pickup heights multiple times trying to make me like it more. There's nothing wrong with them, they just don't sound like anything... They don't sound modern but at the same time are too high output & compressed to sound vintage. They can sing but can be dull at the same time if that makes any sense... And I found that they don't split very well, too bright and harsh...
                          Makes complete sense. 4 years is a pretty fair shake, I think

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

You can always try a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge, which is a great pickup that doesn't feel too compressed.
                            A 59/Custom is something to think about. It would be more open than a custom but still powerful and aggressive with a more vintage vibe. If I remember correctly it's very versatile and not as mid scooped as a Custom 5 or a 59.

Comment

A 59/Custom is something to think about. It would be more open than a custom but still powerful and aggressive with a more vintage vibe. If I remember correctly it's very versatile and not as mid scooped as a Custom 5 or a 59.
                              You got it. The EQ is like a PAF, but with more power, and not so much that it starts compressing the signal. It is a good pickup if you want a louder, bolder 59. It also splits really well, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X