The most Versatile Pickup for Metal FOR YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most Versatile Pickup for Metal FOR YOU

Hi.... I have a question for all of you... and the question is ¿What do you consider is the most versatile pickup for metal?

And I mean that you know that can cover a lot of different sounds and genres in metal music (from classic metal to Deathcore), also considering High gain tones and cleans as well

WLH set

Comment

For me I like the SD Custom or the Dimarzio Super Distortion
      I mostly play 80's Metal, but I can cover a lot of ground with those
      "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Duncan Custom.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

For versatility, I'd consider a lower output pickup that you can boost later in various ways.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

SH-6 Distortion. From 80's thrash to the most extreme modern genres, it does it all.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Comment

For me the Alt 8. Has extreme clarity and articulation at high gain but rolled off and or split can also clean up pretty well. Close second would be the Hybrid for many of the same reasons but for metal the Alt 8 is the clear winner.
              The Alt 8 can also do MUCH more than just Metal! Playing a Worship conference set with Brazilian Worship Artist Raquel Emerick ( PS this girl got PIPES!!). The guitar is my KOA Carvin DC 127 loaded with an Alt 8 and a Sentient through my Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket.

Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Another vote for the Duncan Distortion SH6

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  For versatility, I'd consider a lower output pickup that you can boost later in various ways.
                  With the right amp that works very very well. In particular with an amp like my Archon or the MT 15 that responds well to touch. So far my favorite there has been the Perpetual Burn. Has to be the right amp for it to really work though.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I go mid output but am with you. I find the right EQ and touch sensitivity and then add a great high gain pedal.

Comment

Black Winter.

Comment

So far for me, Black Winter. But note I'm not a major metalhead playing every variation, I just hit some of those songs here and there.

Without the BW, I'd have to have one shredstick with a Distortion, one with a JB and one with a Super Distortion.

Comment

Hitting this more specifically; Single-bucker(bridge) guitar with maximum versatility in the realm of metal

Invader tb-8 with series/parallel wiring and a treble-bleed on the volume.

Important tip;
                          If there's any grind or warble when gently picking each string individually at the highest fret (22nd/24th),,,,,,,then it is too close to the strings. Lower it until the notes are clear.
                          Those huge hex-caps on the sh/tb-8 dictate that the bobbins be lower than almost any other pickup model. It's height can be visually deceiving since the poles protrude up so much.

Comment

Adding a Triple Shot ring to any humbucker ups the versatility.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lace Deathbucker. Pristine cleans that stay clear as you roll either the volume or tone down. Devastating distortion at any volume level.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X