Tele in Series - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele in Series - question

Thinking through this Tele sound with both pickups in series, whether you get it from a switch or a pot. I'm somewhat familiar with what it does sound-wise. But how does the series setting "feel"? Does it respond like a humbucker - as in, more compressed and less dynamic than a single coil?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

My Strat has a series setting, so I might be able to help. It doesn't respond like a humbucker at all. I can see the sound working for some things, but honestly, it responds like trying to run in the mud with boots on. It doesn't have the attack like a humbucker, and feels, well, sluggy.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a baja telecaster with the twisted tele set and the 4-way switch. From my experience, in series it is more powerful than in parallel and sort of reminds me of a 59n in that it is fairly bright. It is not muddy like Mincer's experience. I have heard that using lower output pickups helps avoid this. I use this setting fairly frequently and tend to play fairly clean with light gain.

Comment

We do this mod a lot.. the tone is still single coil tele but it is louder and good for breaking through for leads.

We've done push pull pots as well as switches and, for the most part that is a personal choice.

However once you've gone this far, I like to add in a five position switch to get the half out of phase setting (hoop)... It's a thinner sound that's very useful for rhythm.. some people say it sounds like the two switch position on a strat but I just see it as a useful additional tone.

Check YouTube there's plenty of videos on five position teles...

And if you decide to give it a try I usually go with the regular one three and five positions and I put the hoop in the two position and the series in the four position so that you can easily move between classic sounds and these wonderful alternates.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Last edited by zionstrat; 06-22-2021, 02:14 AM.
        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

i think low output pups in series can be useful, i mostly use it for slide. it doesnt sound or feel like a humbucker though, kinda similar in feel to parallel just thicker and with more output

Comment

Working...
          X