Adam Jones - Duncan JB or Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Jones - Duncan JB or Distortion?

I always read he used the JB, but his signature Silverbursts come with a Duncan Distortion... so which is it? Just curious. Anyone know? Thanks!

Interview seems to indicate he has an original 1980 DDJ in his guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      I always read he used the JB, but his signature Silverbursts come with a Duncan Distortion... so which is it? Just curious. Anyone know? Thanks!
      I always thought/heard the same thing, and then I saw his signature model and wondered as well.

Comment

Nice find!

I'd think that he's probably used some different axes and pickups over the years on recordings and in gigs. Maybe not.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Interesting. Thank you!

Comment

Yeah - I don't believe any guitar player uses just one pickup in every guitar.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I came across a YouTube channel where a guy was comparing the JB, Custom, and Distortion for Adam Jones tones, might be worth looking at and seeing which you think sounds closest.
              From my limited knowledge he uses a Distortion in his main guitar, but that might well have changed over the years, plus I’m sure (as Aceman said) he’s used different guitars with different pickups, and possibly different pickups in the same guitar.

Comment

Apparently he used a JB for a while from all of the rig interviews he did that I found. But his signature guitar has a DD.

Comment

He’s got several Silverbursts, I believe the ~1996 tone is JB, but I also can see there being a variety in his different guitars. I mean, can you go wrong with a JB axe, a Distortion axe and a Custom axe?
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have dean Cadillacs with:

JB, Distortion, and Custom

Plus one withs PG's and one with A2Ps...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      I have dean Cadillacs with:

JB, Distortion, and Custom

Plus one withs PG's and one with A2Ps...
                      Which one has the A2Ps?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Which one has the A2Ps?
                        You want the Tigereye sonically Dave...but you prefer the way the Black one plays.
                        A little something for everyone. I usually take the White, the Pink, and then cherry or Tiger to any gig. But I might bring any of them.

From Left to right, neck/bridge:

Cherry - PG/9k PG
                        Black - Stock/Stock/Stock (Likely a PG/Distortion/Custom or 59/59/Distortion one day....but others possible)
                        Silver - Distortion/Distortion (Not Adam Jones inspired in any way/shape/form)
                        Pink - Stock/JB (No plans to change the neck)
                        White - PG/Custom
                        Tigereye - A2P/A2P

Last edited by Aceman; 06-25-2021, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Didn't Jones mention that he sought out MJ-wound Distortions from the 80s? Wish I could remember the source, but I'm certain that was confirmed.

I think that YouTuber mentioned earlier (or maybe it was someone else) actually called the custom shop, who confirmed that he has a custom made pickup. He wouldn't divulge the specs, but said that a Distortion was the closest production pickup. So my guess is they build him an 80s style Distortion.

Maybe I'll look for sources, maybe I won't. But I've been following this topic for years, and this is what my research has yielded.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Comment

If he used a JB - go get a JB.
                            If he used a Distortion - go get a Distortion.
                            If he used something else - order that from the custom shop.

It really is that easy.

As for an "80's" style of whatever...I leave you all to the madness of the differences in specific pickups of a particular vintage...

Comment

Sounds like a Dokkenbucker, basically a JB/Dist wind with a regular size ceramic mag instead of the oversized one on the Distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X