No announcement yet.

I need a custom wiring kit to split coils for a Gibson Explorer with humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a custom wiring kit to split coils for a Gibson Explorer with humbuckers

Hi, I wasn't sure what forum to post this in. Maybe you guys can help. I have two asymmetrically wound humbucker pickups, including a 59/Custom Hybrid for the bridge, and another asymmetrical pickup that was made for me by another company. I want to put them in a Gibson Explorer with coil tapping. I've written to several companies asking if they could pre-solder something for me including RS Electronics and Dragonfly(sp) and nobody will talk to me. I stink at soldering. Any ideas ? Thanks !!
    "If you love them blues, play 'em as you please"
    -Michael Bloomfield

The issue here is that some of the most tricky joints you'll have to make are still to do even if you buy every component prewired.

Quite frankly this sort of situation is where you take it to the trusted shop and ask them to wire in the 1 or 2 pots (depending on whether you want to split independently) with pushpulls required to split the pickups.

Comment

Remote wiring can be tricky, but is do-able depending on certain conditions. One of the most important, is knowing your location. For example, if I was going to do this, your being in London, California, or Tampa, are all different circumstances. Another thing is the guitar itself. A Stratocaster can easily be done remotely. An Explorer, not so much. But, it still can be done, if you did the Duncan Liberator system.

For example, (and I'm assuming a 3-knob Explorer), you'd just need a Liberator, and two more pots. You'd unbolt your current pots, without disconnecting them. Gently move them out of the way. Lay a piece of blue painters tape over the holes, then mark them with a Sharpie from underneath. That could then be stuck to a piece of cardboard and mailed to whoever is doing the wiring. The kind that comes in a new shirt is ideal.

But even that isn't perfect. You'd still be responsible for the pickup wire ends to be tinned and dressed properly. This is where location is so important. If you sent the pickups, controls, output jack, and hole template, it could easily be done as a virtual plug-'n-play, no-solder, installation.

But again, geo location is most important.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking a Liberator pot would be needed, but you'd still have the ground and possibly the jack to connect.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Remote wiring can be tricky, but is do-able depending on certain conditions. One of the most important, is knowing your location. For example, if I was going to do this, your being in London, California, or Tampa, are all different circumstances. Another thing is the guitar itself. A Stratocaster can easily be done remotely. An Explorer, not so much. But, it still can be done, if you did the Duncan Liberator system.

For example, (and I'm assuming a 3-knob Explorer), you'd just need a Liberator, and two more pots. You'd unbolt your current pots, without disconnecting them. Gently move them out of the way. Lay a piece of blue painters tape over the holes, then mark them with a Sharpie from underneath. That could then be stuck to a piece of cardboard and mailed to whoever is doing the wiring. The kind that comes in a new shirt is ideal.

But even that isn't perfect. You'd still be responsible for the pickup wire ends to be tinned and dressed properly. This is where location is so important. If you sent the pickups, controls, output jack, and hole template, it could easily be done as a virtual plug-'n-play, no-solder, installation.

But again, geo location is most important.
          Heads up on the liberator. I bought one for my 2009 Gibson Explorer I bought used. Previous owner had pulled the original harness and installed EMG.

So, for the ease of «do it once, live happily ever after» when I wanted to change pickups, I bought the liberator. Wired it all up, with push/pull pot for splitting and what not. But when I tried to put it in the guitar, the liberator was to wide for the narrow Explorer control cavity. It didn’t fit, and it was all for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Yeah, I was thinking a Liberator pot would be needed, but you'd still have the ground and possibly the jack to connect.
            I'm just looking at mine and I'm pretty sure the Liberator will accommodate that.

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
            But when I tried to put it in the guitar, the liberator was to wide for the narrow Explorer control cavity.
            There is always that.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'm just looking at mine and I'm pretty sure the Liberator will accommodate that.

Oh cool! It has been a while since I used one.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X