Resistor question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor question.

I would like to mix a Duncan Livewire Classic humbucker pickup with a GFS Red Active pickup in the same guitar. I have had good luck mixing the GFS Red Actives with EMGs running at 18 volts because they both use 25K pots. I had less luck mixing Livewires and EMGs running at 18 volts with 100K pots. The EMGs just sounded dull in comparison to the Livewires. However, I could run a 33K resistor in parallel with the 100K pot so the GFS Red Active would see roughly 25K. Does the rated wattage of the resistor matter?

not really, there is very little voltage going through them so whatever you have of the right value is fine

Comment

That resistor will burn less than 1000th of a watt I believe.

Comment

Try then with the 100k pots. I used to use 100k pots with EMG bass pickups. I thought they sounded better. But that’s the older preamp, not the newer X series.

You can also try 50k pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post
          That resistor will burn less than 1000th of a watt I believe.
          Less than a millionth. Guitar pups generate virtually no "power."

Comment

I received the Red Active today and it works fine with 100k pots. I tried reversing the ground and hot wires for the Red Active so it would be in proper phase in the middle position of a 3-way switch with the Livewire but it sounded cold/dull/dark and it didn't respond right to the volume pot. So I had to reverse the wires and now it sounds a lot better but not great in the middle position. Which is ok because I don't care for middle position sounds.

Comment

Working...
            X