banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSL-4 or SSL-7 for 7.25" radius on a Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-4 or SSL-7 for 7.25" radius on a Strat?

Howdy,

I've been messing with different pickups in my Strat. I have a SSL-4 RWRP in the bridge at the moment along with the two stock pickups. However, my guitar has an old school 7.25" radius, so it has a significant curve in the fretboard and bridge, while the poll pieces are completely flat.

Would it necessarily be better to use the SSL-7 or other pickups with a staggered magnet pattern given the fretboard radius, or does it not really matter? It sounds fine as it is, but I wondering if the SSL-7 would be better. Or perhaps I could buy 2 SSL-7s and use the SSL-4 RWRP in the middle?

Basically, I'm wondering the extent to which using flat or staggered pole pieces in a Strat matters to the sound. I don't have enough experience experimenting with pickups to know from first hand knowledge. Or is the flat vs. staggered thing most about something other than having the poles match the fretboard radius correctly? Does it effect the tone in a more fundamental way? It seems like on some pickups you almost always see people recommending the staggered version (SSL-1, SSL-5) while others seem to always recommend the flat version (SSL-4) regardless of the fretboard radius. It's all a been confusing for me, so if anyone could help me wrap my head around it that would be great.

Thanks!
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

I think it matters less with higher output pickups like those 2. The original stagger in old pickups was not just because of the radius, but it was really common to have wound 3rd strings back then, too. Pickups weren't that sensitive, and it really would matter. Stagger got less important with higher output pickups and flatter radius. If you don't notice a balance problem with your SSL-4, don't worry about it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

in theory i would use the ssl7 in your guitar with a 7.25" radius. since you already have the ssl4, i wouldnt worry about it. especially with the qp, there is plenty of magnetic field

Comment

Working...
      X