PB & J is LIVE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PB & J is LIVE!

First off can you think of a more fitting guitar for a pickup combo some have coined as the PB &J?
    Just got the new Jazz Neck in it with the Perpetual Burn and after playing it for a while was surprised at just how well they seem to match.
    Would have normally not used the Jazz as I thought it would be to weak and thin to match the PB but its not. Will play it tonight for practice live an make a final decision but so far I like this set up. May be a keeper in this guitar.
    Balance tonally is much better than with the PG neck and the response to touch surprised me.
    Here she be with the new set up.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Purple DC 1.jpg Views:	19 Size:	37.4 KB ID:	6094188 Click image for larger version  Name:	Purple DC 2 .jpg Views:	19 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	6094189
    Last edited by Ascension; 07-07-2021, 07:55 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Seems like you picked the perfect guitar for that combo!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And grape too. I'm more of a strawberry preserves fan but this fits.

Comment

Biggest surprise so far is how much bigger fatter and smoother the Jazz is in this guitar than both the Sentient and the Pearly Gates were. I was concerned that the Jazz would be way to weak and thin but boy was I WRONG. I'm shocked at how big and fat it sounds in this particular guitar. I don't remember the Jazz being anywhere near this big sounding and the clips I heard on line didn't show this so? Doing a gig tomorrow night with it so will know more then but for now am pleasantly surprised to say the least. Closest to what I wanted by far so maybe this will be the keeper combo.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I usually don't like the Jazz, but I have one in a very mid-heavy poplar guitar, and it is perfect.

Comment

Sweet! (Pun intended.) Now, I can't wait to try mine. But I'm going to be using a Jazz bridge. (In the neck position.)

See what you started, Erik?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Sweet! (Pun intended.) Now, I can't wait to try mine. But I'm going to be using a Jazz bridge. (In the neck position.)

See what you started, Erik?
              Well, ya know. Makes me hungry for a sandwich now....LOL.

Comment

Awesome guitar.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I usually don't like the Jazz, but I have one in a very mid-heavy poplar guitar, and it is perfect.
                  Has been years since I had a Jazz in a guitar and I don't remember the Jazz being any thing but thin and weak. This one surprised me as it's anything but thin and weak in this guitar. The Pearly Gates now in this guitar sounded thin and weak this one doesn't. In fact it's really fat and balanced very well with the PB in the bridge. After playing it out tonight right now I cant conceive of a better pickup combo in this particular guitar. May be this particular guitar but man does this combo really seem to work. Still getting used to working with it but so far so good. Have had 6 different pickup combos in this guitar and this so far looks like it may be the keeper. The guitar is a real jaw dropper looks wise plays like a dream sustains for days and has a super even response all across the neck. Just could not get the tones out of it that I had in my head. The PB worked in the bridge had one in it twice won't have anything else but just couldn't get the right balance for the neck. Would have never intentionally ordered the Jazz for this guitar. If fact I ordered a WLH but the order got screwed up and all they had in Zebra was the Jazz. Took a small refund and the Jazz with the intent to swap mags and make it a Alnico II Pro. Thought what the hey lets try the Jazz first as is just to see what its like in this guitar. Now SO glad I did!
                  Last edited by Ascension; 07-08-2021, 09:03 PM.
                  Guitars

Comment

The same pickup can sound very different in a different guitar. That was a lesson I had to learn: "I like this pickup so I will buy one for each guitar'. That rarely works across everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The same pickup can sound very different in a different guitar. That was a lesson I had to learn: "I like this pickup so I will buy one for each guitar'. That rarely works across everything.
                      Dead on. The Hybrid and Sentient set in my Mahogany neck and body Carvin DC 400 is a great example. In this guitar wired into the active module it's glorious. Fat smooth and very articulate under gain and the cleans oh man. Same set of pickups in the Purple guitar were not inspiring.
                      Have a pair of JB's in my Washburn USA MG 102 and MG 120 that sound AMAZING! Can't conceive of anything else in ether. Tried a JB in the bridge of my 2017 Kiesel DC, couldn't get it back out quick enough and the Perpetual Burn back in. That's part of the fun finding the combinations that are just magical and also those that just don't work. One of those that magic is the Alt 8 /Sentient set in my 1993 solid KOA Carvn DC 127 hardtail. It's amazing in that particular guitar and was really unexpected that it worked SO well!
                      Here is the old DC 127 with the Alt and Senient live. Got tapped to play this event at the last minuet with a thrown together band I grabbed the old DC and my little Subway Rocket and threw them in the car. Thought I was just setting in as a side man with a full band and Did not expect to have to carry so much like I did here. You would never expect a guitar with that pickup combo to work well in a setting like this.

Last edited by Ascension; 07-09-2021, 11:09 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Working...
                      X