banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help diagnosing wiring error after installing new pickups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help diagnosing wiring error after installing new pickups.

I just finished changing a set of pickups (my first time doing so). I made a mistake somewhere, and I'm hoping someone can help me out.

The layout is 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way blade switch. No coil taps. I was working from this diagram:

My blade switch however, has 8 terminals in a row, as opposed to the 2x4 layout in the diagram above. Someone elsewhere recommended the top diagram in this image:

I plugged in and realized there was an issue:

Toggle in bridge position: Bridge pickup
    Toggle in neck position: Neck pickup
    Toggle in middle position: Neck pickup only.

I think I know what the issue is, but was hoping to get confirmation. On the diagram that shows the toggle switch wiring it says to connect the neck pickup ground to the 5th terminal from the left. I connected it to ground (on the back of the volume pot), because I didn't see something similar on the seymour duncan diagram.

Is this likely the issue? Should I connect the neck pickup grounds to the toggle instead of the volume pot ground?

Thanks!

That switch diagram is wrong for normal Bridge / Bridge+Neck / Neck switching. That switch diagram appears to be trying to put the two pickups in series in the middle position. For you I think it's just grounding out the bridge in the middle position.

0 is common - those should go to the hot / volume pot then to the output jack

use one set of lugs for the bridge pickup
    use the other set of lugs for the neck pickup

for the first set of 0123 lugs,
    connect bridge hot to 1 and 2, and connect 0 to the volume pot like the Duncan diagram

for the second set of 0123 lugs
    connect neck hot to 2 and 3, and connect 0 to the volume pot (or better, just connect a jumper wire between the two 0 lugs so they both go to the volume pot)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      That switch diagram is wrong for normal Bridge / Bridge+Neck / Neck switching. That switch diagram appears to be trying to put the two pickups in series in the middle position. For you I think it's just grounding out the bridge in the middle position.

0 is common - those should go to the hot / volume pot then to the output jack

use one set of lugs for the bridge pickup
      use the other set of lugs for the neck pickup

for the first set of 0123 lugs,
      connect bridge hot to 1 and 2, and connect 0 to the volume pot like the Duncan diagram

for the second set of 0123 lugs
      connect neck hot to 2 and 3, and connect 0 to the volume pot (or better, just connect a jumper wire between the two 0 lugs so they both go to the volume pot)
      It's alive!!!! Thanks!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X