TBX Pot to Cut Bass-Mid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBX Pot to Cut Bass-Mid?

Thinking the HH Strat could do with a bass cut to gel with overdrive / distortion pedals.

Will a TBX pot do this or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If it will, how do I wire it?

Currently the single tone pot is wired in parallel on the output side of a standard Fender 3-way switch. The two volumes pots do their thing between the pickups and the switch..

Thanks.
    Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 07-10-2021, 07:55 AM.

The TBX would also get wired in parallell.

It replaces your existing Master Tone control.

It has a center detente. So either you're turning it in one direction to cut treble (juat like a Tone control) or you're turning it the other way to cut Bass, or you leave it dead center to cut nothing.

when you buy a new one, it should come with a instruction sheet on how to wire eaxh of the two pots on it.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

^ Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
        The TBX would also get wired in parallell.

It replaces your existing Master Tone control.

It has a center detente. So either you're turning it in one direction to cut treble (juat like a Tone control) or you're turning it the other way to cut Bass, or you leave it dead center to cut nothing.

when you buy a new one, it should come with a instruction sheet on how to wire eaxh of the two pots on it.

https://www.premierguitar.com/gear/t...control-part-1
        I haven’t looked at the TBX schematic in a while. Isn’t it increasing total impedance when you turn past the detent? (Just adding back that resonant peak that was lost with a 250k pot). Maybe it was changed over the years. I’ll look at the actual fender schematic to refresh my memory.

Of course modifying for bass cut is easy, like this, correct?

Last edited by PFDarkside; 07-10-2021, 08:36 AM.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The TBX works well in the neck to reduce boominess. I like it best stock but that's a matter of personal taste.

Basically, cranking it up has the effect of having a 1 meg tone pot instead of 250k. Gives the ear the impression of a brighter, clearer sound.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

“The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

The TBX doesn’t cut lows. It’s a standard tone control from 0 up to the detent, and then it removes the tone control from the circuit via a large resistor when on 10 for a bit of a treble boost.

You want something like the G&L bass roll off control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              The TBX doesn’t cut lows. It’s a standard tone control from 0 up to the detent, and then it removes the tone control from the circuit via a large resistor when on 10 for a bit of a treble boost.

You want something like the G&L bass roll off control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My feedback was based on that Dirk Wacker article that i posted a link to which does go back to year 2010 ish. Maybe Fender has modified the design since then. Wacker says in the article that Fender has modded the design through the years, so i guess it could have happened once again since he wrote that article.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Working...
              X