Classic Stack STK-S4M Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Stack STK-S4M Wiring

Hi all, first post here. I'm sure this question has been asked before, perhaps many times, if so I apologize for asking it again.

As part of a recent guitar deal, I received a used STK-S4 Middle RW/RP pickup and wanted to ask about wiring it as a single coil since I don't want to split it. I'm planning on putting it into the neck position on a T-style guitar with a 5-Way switch and a Bill Lawrence wiring mod.

The four wires are Red, White, Black, and Bare. I understand the Classic Stack doesn't necessarily sound that great split so I just want to try it wired as a single coil.

Any help is appreciated.

welcome to the forum!

to run the classic stack + as a single coil, the white wire would go to the switch, the rest of the wires would be grounded.

to clarify things... the cs+ is a stacked humbucker. the top coil is where most of the tone comes from, the bottom coil is there to cancel hum. when you split the coil, you are running it as a single coil. the cs+ sounds great as a humbucker, there will be a subtle difference when splitting the coils and running it as a single coil.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      welcome to the forum!

to run the classic stack + as a single coil, the white wire would go to the switch, the rest of the wires would be grounded.

to clarify things... the cs+ is a stacked humbucker. the top coil is where most of the tone comes from, the bottom coil is there to cancel hum. when you split the coil, you are running it as a single coil. the cs+ sounds great as a humbucker, there will be a subtle difference when splitting the coils and running it as a single coil.
      Thank you very much for all the info!

Comment

I just rewired it as suggested, white wire to switch, all others grounded and I got nothing. Could it be the pickup?

Comment

Are there some other wiring alternatives that I could try?

Comment

Can you check the resistance? It should read something like 6k ohm between the white and red wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
              Can you check the resistance? It should read something like 6k ohm between the white and red wires.
              Just checked and I'm not getting a reading.

Comment

check black and white, then black and red. what do you get?

the bare wire should always be grounded. the white should be hot, the black ground, the red the coil split.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  check black and white, then black and red. what do you get?

the bare wire should always be grounded. the white should be hot, the black ground, the red the coil split.
                  I checked the Black and White and got nothing.

The Black and Red was 2.5K ohms.

Comment

This is how I wired up my SD Vintage Stack Rhythm. It worked great!

The white and red are soldered together, the black goes to the switch, and the rest are grounded.

Attached Files

Comment

the tele stack is a different design so uses different wiring.

it sounds like your cs+ top coil is dead, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Comment

Probably a dead coil. Only hope is if you can find any damage where the white wire is soldered to the PCB.

Comment

For what it's worth, I only split mine in the 2/4 positions, but they sound outstanding in that role. I don't bother with the 3 and 5 positions (mine is an HSS, so the split JB is my 1 position), because 2/4 are hum canceling since I got the RWRP middle.

In any event, I haven't tried splitting the coils just to see what the pickups sound like without hum canceling, because I purchased them precisely to cancel hum. But in the 2/4 positions, split and RWRP, they sound amazing.

Comment

sadly, if its broken, doesnt matter

Comment

Working...
                            X