Pickups in Cobain’s in utero mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups in Cobain’s in utero mustang

I just went to the Pop Museum in Seattle. I always though the bridge was a JB and the neck a hot rails. Maybe I’m too much of a SD fan? I guess he must have had several.

What is that humbucker? The writing was blurry in person too

Awesome! It's supposed to be a JB in the bridge and the stock Fender Mustang true single coil in the neck. I'll look for some clips where you can hear the JB crunch/clank clean.

You can hear it pretty well in this one. I don't think I've ever come across a clip of him on the single coil clean. He uses the neck pickup on Polly but I don't see a clip with that guitar.

Last edited by Clint 55; 07-16-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

I remember reading decades ago that he used the Super Distortion for his entire career and only switched to the JB during the In Utero tour. I think I see the faded smudged rements of the Duncan logo on that bucker.

Comment

You should probably do some current reading then. His infamous 65 Jaguar has a Super D in the bridge but he used all kind of guitars and pickups. My all time favorite sound of his is a Hot Rails in the bridge of a Strat.

Jaguar:

Guitars:

Learn about guitars, amps, and effects used by Kurt Cobain throughout his career, and share you own input, stories, and knowledge.

Comment

Hehe I was thinking of that Strat when I made my post. I know he used all kinds but the SD was the go to replacement. His tech was trying to convert him to Teles before he blew his head off.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post
            the SD was the go to replacement. His tech was trying to convert him to Teles before he blew his head off.
            I don't think so.

Comment

So now I’m more curious lol

I checked and saw that this guitar had a black bridge pickup (I assume JB) most of the time but then I saw the white pickup in the in utero tour pics, three months before his death.

I’ve had my fair share of worn SD pickups and this didn’t look like that. I can be wrong obviously. The font looked more gold than silver and the font more like the one in Black Winters than times new roman.

Comment

They were his custom Fender Mustangs and there were several of them.

Again:

Learn about guitars, amps, and effects used by Kurt Cobain throughout his career, and share you own input, stories, and knowledge.

Comment

Bridge just looks like a Duncan with the logo attempted to be smeared off to me, or perhaps just damaged from something spilled or done to it.

Comment

I’m going back tomorrow and plugging it into the Hiwatt to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yas

Comment

That can't be the original gear can it? Doesn't look like something (ab)used by Kurt, too fresh and clean
                        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                          That can't be the original gear can it? Doesn't look like something (ab)used by Kurt, too fresh and clean
                          I think there were only a couple of those Jagstangs, and he didn’t have them for all that long, so maybe this one wasn’t a smashing guitar.

I might be talking out of my ass on this one, but I also remember a story about a music store getting shipped the red one they built for Kurt but never delivered to him.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

It's not a Jagstang, it's his custom Mustang. There are clips of him playing his red and blue Jagstangs. He didn't destroy them because he liked them as they were custom made for him. He would destroy stock strats during this time period. Smh at all of you lol.
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 07-17-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Clint’s guitar dream:

Click image for larger version

Name:	95F1BB20-83E5-47A6-9B89-8E3435D482B2.jpeg
Views:	419
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	6096970
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X