SD Quarter Pounder - out of phase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Quarter Pounder - out of phase question

Hi everyone. So I finally did a pickup swap for the first time myself in my ESP LTD ST-213 strat. I replaced the stock single coil in the bridge with a Quarter Pounder. Just recently I brought my guitar in to a local tech near me for fretwork and when he was completing the final setup he noticed that when the selector switch is in position 4 (bridge and middle PU together) it is out of phase (he described a weak thin sound ) and told me he would correct it for me.

Can anyone here explain this to me ? When I installed the quarter pounder I soldered the white wire (hot) to the selector switch terminal and the black wire (ground) to the back of the volume pot.- this is exactly how the previous stock single coil in the bridge was wired as well.. I just followed the same way with the new pickup. Is this incorrect? Or does the out of phase issue have to do with the wiring of the middle pickup ? I’m just curious because to my ears when in position 5 (just bridge pickup ) it sounds great. I’m new to this and trying to learn as much as I can so any help would be appreciated !

Because the stock pickups either have the winding in the other direction or the magnet is the opposite polarity.

Sometimes two different brands of pickups don’t match up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pickups are magnetic devices. If 2 pickups with opposite magnet orientations are connected/selected together the polarities of the two will cancel the signals. Individually they are fine as there is no absolute/right phase (being A/C).
      Additionally there is no right position for a white wire and a black wire to be connected both from the pickup coil ends, nor onto the components in a guitar wiring scheme. There is merely convention....with history having several conventions to possibly follow. So you simply have to adapt your hooking up of a pickup to match either the other pickups, or what is in the guitar's wiring scheme.

Comment

This is a common issue when pickups from 2 different makers are used in the same guitar. It is an easy fix- swap the hot and ground on the new pickup. But it is something to test when installing it. If you have a switch position where 2 pickups are on at once, one old and one new pickup, listen for a thin, hollow, lower-output sound. That is the sound of 2 out-of-phase pickups. While some people like that sound, many don't (I don't).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you guys this is all so helpful!

Comment

Working...
          X