banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom Custom in a mahogany super strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Custom in a mahogany super strat?

I'm potentially mining for vibranium and unobtanium but I'm looking for something with the touch response of a Seth/PAF but with a bit more kick. I don't want JB like output in this case, I don't want a mid scoop and I especially don't clanky abrasive high end. The guitar in question is an all mahogany hardtail HH super strat with a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. It's in the paint phase now but well on the way. I have a Jason Becker set to drop in to it but I'm wondering if it's still going to be too clanky. I'm going to try it regardless, but considering a plan b if it doesn't work out. On the possible choices list is the Custom Custom. Is there anyone out there who has used this in a mahogany super strat (no maple top)? I'm thinking the voice looks good on paper but is this going to be a undefined mess with a darker tone wood? At the same time, the pearly gates is reported to have a smooth non jagged top end.... but it's got some sharp treble for sure based on the one I've got in my 1995 Les Paul.

Can anyone speak to this combo? Of note I have a jazz set to be the neck pickup but if it needs taming I have A2 magnets handy.

I Put one in a Kramer barretta and love it.

Comment

The Custom Custom works well in Mahogany. Saying that I LOVE the PB in a super Strat and have 2 in play right now. I would just run the PB and see what it's like first!
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

If your guitar has a lot of mids, adding a Custom Custom will emphasize those mids. Do you like middy sounds? I tend to like it, but it isn't for everyone. I have an extremely mid-heavy poplar Music Man, and a Custom Custom sounded like the tone control was on 0 all the time. I put in an A5 magnet, and the guitar is incredibly balanced now. There are no wrong answers, but go with the EQ you like.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In between a Seth and a Custom Custom might be a Brobucker. Stellar hotter PAF with mid-chime, Seth-like character but better. Not honking, but chimey round mids. Another thing that tames too much mids is putting in a row of allen heads instead of filister screws. Don't even have to remove the pickup or unplug the guitar to make that change.

Comment

Try the custom custom but if there's too much mids, put a roughcast A5 in it. Depending on how the axe sounds acoustically, if it's very mid-heavy, consider swapping the A2 for a rougcast A5 in advance. The rougher the magnet, the less piercing the highs will sound.

Even in bright guitars, where highs might be plenty, they will sound "normal" with a rough surface magnet. They won't sound like they're slicing your senses.

Comment

Working...
            X