banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup suggestions for Epiphone Korina Explorer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions for Epiphone Korina Explorer?

I'm looking for a new set of pickups for my Epiphone Korina Explorer and I'm not sure about which set i should put in in. I want to try something that is different than the Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz/59 since i have those in my other 2 guitars(JB/Jazz in a Epi LP Standard w/Jimmy Page wiring and the Jb/59 in a Ibanez RG). My amp is a Boss Katana Mk2 head. I'm looking for a similar versatility, but in a different pickup set. As far as my playstyle goes, I'm pretty much into punk, metal, blues, and rock. Not really looking to get any active pickups since I have some push push pots for coil tap & series parallel . Some sets i were considered were:

Seymour Duncan Pegasus /Sentient
    Seymour Duncan Nazgul /Sentient
    Seymour Duncan Alpha Omega
    Dimarzio Titans
    Dimarzio Super distortion /paf pro
    Fastback Beard Combers

After listening to some comparisons and demos, I'm leaning a bit more towards the Pegasus/Sentient but still not too sure. Any other ideas and recommendations are appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

The Pegasus/Sentient is a much more modern sound than the Jazz & JB. But the great thing about that set is that it is so good at many different things. It does lots of gain ranges really well. That isn't the case with the Nazgul (basically a distortion-only pickup) or Alpha/Omega (ultra-modern metal stuff).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For this fine copy of a classic guitar I recommend the Duncan Custom. It excels on rock and blues, but does also punk and old style hard rock nicely. Its tad rounder than the modern pickup, but not as lean as the DM Super distortion. I would pair it with a 59 or a Jazz, depending how much cleanness you need in the neck.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I have Epi Korina Explorer that I use for metal, rock, southern rock, and some blues.
        I have a Custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I do plan on swapping the magnet in the jazz with an A4 soften the highs a bit, I just haven't gotten around to it yet

That said, I have a Super Distortion and Jazz in the RR5 I have and it works well for my playing too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_102984.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	6097800
        Last edited by v8stang289; 07-21-2021, 06:56 AM.
        "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Korina is a wood I really am getting used to. It is really pretty (both white and black) and sounds different than most other common woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Welcome to the forum!

The Pegasus/Sentient is a much more modern sound than the Jazz & JB. But the great thing about that set is that it is so good at many different things. It does lots of gain ranges really well. That isn't the case with the Nazgul (basically a distortion-only pickup) or Alpha/Omega (ultra-modern metal stuff).
            After looking at a few more demos of the Nazgul, i doesn't seem to handle cleans too well. The Pegasus sounds more balanced with a bit more low end to me, but the nazgul will work for more extreme metal. I do like the Alpha Omega set since it does well in both clean and distortion, but the price tag is a bit too much for me.

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
            For this fine copy of a classic guitar I recommend the Duncan Custom. It excels on rock and blues, but does also punk and old style hard rock nicely. Its tad rounder than the modern pickup, but not as lean as the DM Super distortion. I would pair it with a 59 or a Jazz, depending how much cleanness you need in the neck.

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
            I have Epi Korina Explorer that I use for metal, rock, southern rock, and some blues.
            I have a Custom in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I do plan on swapping the magnet in the jazz with an A4 soften the highs a bit, I just haven't gotten around to it yet

That said, I have a Super Distortion and Jazz in the RR5 I have and it works well for my playing too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_102984.jpg Views:	35 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	6097800
            After looking at some demos and comparisons of the Custom, i might think about it and maybe even pair it with the sentient. The Custom sounds a bit clearer than the jb. I just like how the sentient sounds like a combo of the 59 and the jazz. I'll look at a few more demos of the custom before i make my final purchase.

Comment

Yes, the Nazgul is only for massive distortion. If you need anything but that, it is perfect. If you need versatility *at all*, it is the wrong tool for that job. The Pegasus is much better for that. Also, the Custom *is* cleaner than a JB- there are more dynamics. While I wouldn't call either the JB or the Custom versatile, they excel with at least boosted Marshall-levels of gain. If you like Fender cleans, I don't think either do that very well.

Comment

If you want to try something different in the neck but still want beautiful cleans, and like the 59 neck: Try a Saturday Night Special Neck.

i put one in with a Distortion bridge and they’re a great combo. Wanted something “familiar but different”

Comment

Years ago when I had one, I put a set of Lace Deathbuckers in it and never looked back. Pristine cleans, fantastic sustain. And if you already have push/pulls you can wire them to split. But they will be noiseless. Or at least no noisier than a Lace single coil.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

DiMarzio Norton/Air Classic. Cannot recommend highly enough.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'd personally go with a PGn and a Custom.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                      X