No announcement yet.

'59 Bridge Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote for either mag swaps or the WLH. A3 will reduce boominess, scoopiness, and blandness. I would give that a shot.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I would recommend the Pearly Gates. PAF output that will handle high gain like a champ.
      2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
      2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
      2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

good suggestions so far (pearly gates, WLH).
        what about the demon?
        i put it in one Les Paul after the 59b and although the 59 wasn‘t bad, the demon added a lot which shifted the guitar from ok to great.
        it‘s tighter than the 59. bass is tight and deep (also works in the neck).
        not congested.
        more bite than a 59b.

maybe not enough mids for you? i don’t know?

for moderate to high gain i prefer it to the 59 and PG.
        i do prefer the PG for low gain crunch, though.
        for anything higher gain i prefer the demons reduced midrange and deeper bass.
        but haven’t tried all PUs in all LPs of mine. the proper match is key
        Last edited by ToneFiddler; 07-27-2021, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Makes me wonder how a Demon would sound with a UOA5 in it.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Demon is one of my favorite pups, especially with a UOA5 for the neck. I like the Demon with an A8 for the bridge. Another favorite of mine is the Jazz bridge pup in the neck and a Jazz A8 in the bridge. Both of those give great all around well balanced tone and are extremely versatile.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Update: So instead of ordering direct from the custom shop and waiting 6-8+ weeks I found a new set of custom shop PGs on reverb and ordered them. Already got them and installed them. I have to say they sound amazing!! This is exactly the sound I was after, the 59s sounded so generic whereas these have so much character and are much tighter and clearer than the 59s. That upper sizzle is there with more bite and pretty much every position and setting is useable now. The 59s were way too dark and muddy for rhythm playing in middle & neck positions.

They do have enough low end for me, however the only thing I'd say is they are almost too bright, like I'm using the tone knob at 5 or below, although I've only tried with a 1959 super lead reissue which is a very bright amp and also brand EB slinkys which are bright too. Not an issue though as they sound so much better, it's like a completely different guitar. Sounds like what a Les Paul is supposed to sound like, it even has some 'quack' at lower guitar volumes now which it didn't at all before. Would definitely recommend these pickups for anyone looking at swapping their 59s in a Les Paul (or similar). I would easily put this guitar up against any R9 or similar now.

Also I believe they are unpotted but I haven't noticed any difference regarding noise with them. Maybe they are potted to some extent I'm not sure.
              Last edited by Degradation Trip; 07-30-2021, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the set of CS pickups! The CS Pearly set is one most people rave about (I have never directly compared them to non-CS PGs). I wonder if you can compensate for the brightness by amp EQ, or even types of strings.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They just sound like great PAFs to me. As for the brightness on a real amp I think it's probably easier to compensate with EQ, but I'm finding it a bit trickier with modellers. I feel like it may not be too bright, as a player it's just more noticeable but in the context of a band it might work fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X