banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this pickup dead or did I install it incorrectly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this pickup dead or did I install it incorrectly?

I picked up a Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid off of Reverb to replace the Duncan Custom in the bridge of my Les Paul Special. I installed it exactly the same as I've installed every other pickup swap I've ever done, but for some reason it sounds like only one of the coils is activated and there's not nearly enough output coming from the pickup. The sound clip I've included is played through a Silver Jubilee on the lead channel and the Input Gain on 7, and with the guitar controls dimed it's basically clean. Something is clearly wrong, but I want to figure out if I did something wrong when installing it, or is there something wrong with the pickup? I want to make sure it's not user error before I ask for a refund on Reverb.

My wiring job: http://imgur.com/a/E2TlYoE

Example of what it sounds like in the circuit at the moment: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1akt...ew?usp=sharing

Honestly, I don't HATE the sound, but it's obviously not what a bridge humbucker in a Les Paul Special is supposed to sound like.

Did you measure it before installing it? It's supposed to be about 11k. 7k the custom side and 4k the 59 side.
    Last edited by Blille; 08-10-2021, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I think probably you're only getting one coil.
      Looks to me like the series connection between coils (red & white wires twisted together) is not insulated.
      Could it be grounding out on something when the cover is on?

Billie's right - you need to measure DCRs for each coil and for the whole pickup.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

OP, on closer inspection of your pic I'm not sure the red & white leads are connected to each other at all.
        They may have been snipped off when the pickup was removed from its previous home.

Try stripping 1/2" and twisting them together (maybe even a drop of solder), then cover the connection with some tape.
        I'd almost be willing to bet that will solve your problem.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

^ 1/4 inch will do, but definitely solder them together. Electrical insulating tape is okay, but heat shrink is better. Leave a 1/4 inch of heat shrink beyond the ends of the wires. After heat shrinking fold the end back over the wires, heat it a little and squeeze it down. It'll stick to itself.

Before you do that, however, check the DCRs green to red and black to white.

Comment

Working...
          X