No announcement yet.

What would be and what could fit on ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be and what could fit on ...

Hello!
    I'm looking for change on a H-S-S, during more than a decade I played with an Invader on the bridge position, and tried many middle & neck pickups.
    Time have passed and my playing became much less aggressive, so I'm at a crossroad witch allow so many possibilities that I don't even know where to start, only thing I know is that I really loved to hear the 498T "Hot Alnico" Bridge Pickup from Gibson and the JB tweaked for Dave Mustaine Signature Thrash Factor.

Do you have any other suggestion for the bridge pickup and what would be your guess for the middle & neck position?

Guitar woods:
    -body, aged alder (became super warm over the decades)
    -neck, walnut
    -fretboard, Indian rosewood

Originally posted by Ulys View Post
    Hello!
    I'm looking for change on a H-S-S, during more than a decade I played with an Invader on the bridge position, and tried many middle & neck pickups.
    Time have passed and my playing became much less aggressive, so I'm at a crossroad witch allow so many possibilities that I don't even know where to start, only thing I know is that I really loved to hear the 498T "Hot Alnico" Bridge Pickup from Gibson and the JB tweaked for Dave Mustaine Signature Thrash Factor.

Do you have any other suggestion for the bridge pickup and what would be your guess for the middle & neck position?

Guitar woods:
    -neck, walnut
    It would help us if you could name some bands and artists that are examples of the "less aggressive" music that you play these days, that you want to use this guitar for.

Also, could you tell us the make/model of the two pickups that are currently in the Middle and Neck positions?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-15-2021, 11:38 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

SD SH-16 '59/Custom Hybrid humbucker, SSL-1 RWRP single coil in the middle and a regular SSL-1 in the neck work very well. The humbucker coil splits nicely too. That's what I did to my 2020 MIM HSS Strat.

Comment

Odds are it's Trembucker. Most guitars are Fender or Floyd spaced. You can measure center of low E to center of high E in millimeters. If it's 49-50, go with an SH or Gibson spacing, if it's 51mm or more, go with a Trembucker. Pickups for Fender or Floyd bridges are typically 52-53mm, and those are more common, even from Gibson/Epiphone than classic Gibson spacing.

Given it's super warm, I'd probably go with a PATB-1b or PATB-3b in the bridge. STK-S4m in middle, STK-S1n or Cool Rails in the neck.

There's tons of good options depending on what you want out of the guitar.

JB (or Thrash Factor) would likely work fine in that guitar. Or a Perpetual Burn if you want something a bit lower output. I'd still stick with STK-S4 middle & neck models with any of those pickups.

Comment

You don't need to use a Trembucker, a regularly spaced pickup will do. Less than optimal, perhaps, sE and e strings won't be completely over the pole pieces, true, but it'll still work.

Standard modern Strat E to e is 2-1/16 inches.

Standard S-D pole spacing seems to be 0.385 inches, giving 5 x 0.385 = 1 925 or 1-15/16 inches E to e,.

I'm not sure that applies to their Strat pickups, however, and their on line drawings don't include the pole to pole distances. So maybe they already space them wider on the bridge pickups, I don't know.

The difference, however is 1/16 of an inch (about 1.5 mm) at either end, so the strings will still be over the poles.

Comment

Boo-boo alert!

The standard bridge single coil is mounted at an angle, 12 degrees I think, so the effective pole spacing is 0.385 x cos (12 deg.) = 0.378 inches pole to pole or about 1-7/8 inches E to e.

Comment

I just looked at my three strats.

On the first, the MIM, I have a standard spacing humbucker and it looks odd. I guess I need to buy a trembucker at some point. The middle, a RWRP IIRC, looks "about right", maybe a little too wide.

The second, the HH, uses a trembucker bridge and a standard neck, and it looks spot on.

The third, and this is where it gets odd, is an SSS. The bridge looks spot on, the middle is a little too wide, and the neck is "more too wide". Hmm...
              Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 08-16-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

there is usually only one spacing for single coils, though there are a few makers who do a narrower spacing. ive never noticed an issue if the pole spacing is a bit wider than the string spacing

Comment

Originally posted by Ulys View Post
                  Hello!

Guitar woods:
                  -neck, walnut
                  Id put something like a Classic Stack in the middle and neck. They can keep up with higher output pickups, but don't sound or feel like a higher output pickup. They are also hum-cancelling, so they will be quiet with gain.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X