banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Strat pickup covers interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Strat pickup covers interchangeable?

Ordering online is always a crap shoot. Colors on a screen don't always match up with colors in real-life. I'm poised to order up a set of Strat pickups, and am wondering how much I need to worry about "getting the color right" from the get-go. Have you all had success or frustration with attempts to change your pickup covers on Strat single coil pickups? There are quite a lot of options out there, and it seems like it'd be pretty much a standard size (since they have to fit in the same Strat sized pickguard), but figured I'd check here before assuming.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Single coil covers are completely interchangeable. And the match you get with the pickguard will depend on two things : the pickup covers and the pickguard. Usually they're so close so as to not be an issue, but you k ow how some people are...

Probably the closest match will be with kosher Fender pickup covers and a kosher Fender pickguard, but of course you won't get the S-D logo.

Comment

The overall dimensions of the covers are pretty much standard. The polepiece spacing isn't.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Well, most covers won't fit Quarter Pounds. I have had the spacing of some holes not quite line up, too. So if they are interchangeable, it isn't 100% in every case.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They are not all interchangeable. For example, many of the colored replacement aftermarket ones don't quite fit on original American Strat pickups. (I had to shave the pole opening a little bit to fit.)

Comment

They are absolutely NOT interchangeable! The pole spacing is the biggest culprit. Make sure you measure yours first before ordering new covers. Also measure the height...that's another common variable.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Generally most US-made covers will fit most standard Strat pickups.
              But as has been said, not all Strat pickups are standard - even among the ones that appear to be.
              Import covers from China may be more iffy in terms of fit; can't say for sure.

As for color matching, black is probably pretty safe. White too, at least among US makers.
              Some of the Chinese white plastics can be a bit off - I got a greyish humbucker once.

When it comes to parchment & aged whites, even US ones are all over the place. And cream? Fuhgeddaboudit.
              Even mint greens vary by a surprising amount.

I think ThreeChordWonder is right: Fender covers are most likely to match Fender pickguards.
              But depending on the color, even that isn't a sure thing, I'm afraid.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Most covers that don't fit have only been limited by the E and e polepieces, and those are usually close enough to where if you're careful drilling them out you can make them fit without any visible signs of finangling.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Dimensional tolerances stack up.

Supposing your pole to pole spacing is 0.385 inches nominal with a +/- 0.010" (0.25 mm) tolerance.
                  Maximum E to A = 0.385+0.010 = 0.395
                  Maximum A to D = same
                  Now the distance from E to D isn't 2x0 385 = 0.770 it's 0.790
                  and so it goes on until E to e isn't 5x0.385 = 1.925, it's 5x0.395 = 1.975. A whole 0.050 or 1.25 mm different.

A good draffie and a good machinist would, however, work from one datum, so:
                  E to A = 0.385 +/- 0.010
                  E to D = 2 x 0.385 = 0.770 +/- 0.010
                  E to G = 3 x 0.385 = 1.115 +/- 0.010
                  E to B = 4 x 0.385 = 1.540 +/- 0.010
                  E to e = 5 x 0.385 = 1.925 +/- 0.010.

Comment

What look are you going for?

I’ve had success with Duncan vintage style pickups and Fender plastics. I think trying to match pickguard and plastics is tough, so I choose a deliberate mismatch.

My favorite looks I’ve come up with are all Fender combos:
                    -Parchment pickguard with aged white covers/knobs
                    -Tortoise pickguard with aged white covers/knobs
                    -Mint pickguard with parchment or aged white covers/knobs
                    -White pickguard with parchment covers/knobs

I think as they age, most plastics converge in color for the most part as opposed to diverging.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks!

I have a black pickguard, green guitar, and I ordered up "parchment" pickup covers with these new pickups. So we'll see. Eventually if this guitar breaks (it's a real beater) I'd like to get a black Strat, which I think looks great with parchment/cream pickups. Mint could have also looked cool on this green guitar.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                      X