banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guitar is somewhat bright. Thinking of purchasing a darker pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
    Skip to the last paragraph if you're not interested in reading a big ol' wall of text about improving your playing.

I've been in the guitar modding community for a little over five years. If there's one distilled piece of wisdom I've learned in that time that I could dispense to you it is this:

You will never learn how to sculpt your tone with your fingers if you only ever replace problem parts.

Before you yank out the pickup, do some experimenting with your pick attack. Pay close attention to the nuance of your stroke. How steep is your picking angle? Do you drag your pick or does your wrist flick about halfway through? Is the plane of the pick perpendicular or twisted relative to the strings? What location do you pick over? Then experiment with changing these variables. It may sound dumb at first, because after all, if you get shirt tailored and the sleeves are too long, the tailor doesn't tell you "you'll get used to it", but after a while you gain the ability to change your done from bright and twangy to thick and powerful with little more than your hands.

Buy a 250k and 100k tone control pot. Replace the tone control with the 250k, and if that's still to bright try the 100k. It's a lot cheaper to buy a pot than a pickup if all you're trying to do is dampen some highs.
    Amen. Different pick thicknesses have different tones for me, as well. Fingerstyle is a darker sound.

OP: I get it. My all mahogany SG is bright acoustically, but dark amplified - has just enough high end with my treble EQs maxed out. It has 57 Classics in it, which are Alnico 2 PAFs.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      It's called a low pass filter, by the way, because low(er) frequencies pass through to the desired destination, while high(er) frequencies don't. In our case they get dumped to ground through the cap.

If you get into the Laplace transforms and transfer functions you can calculate which frequencies will and will not pass through the filter. Me? It's been 35 years since I last used a Laplace transform, and I'm not about to start again now.
      I have this program at work that you plug in what you want from it, and it'll give you any type of pass/block filter up to the 20th order that can be exported to whatever file type you want. Definitely a lot easier and quicker than doing it by hand
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

I have this program at work that you plug in what you want from it, and it'll give you any type of pass/block filter up to the 20th order that can be exported to whatever file type you want. Definitely a lot easier and quicker than doing it by hand
        Cool. What's it called?

Comment

ADI Precision Studio, there's a free web-based version of it on tools.analog.com, but they used to have a whole software package you could get. I don't see it on the site right now though, maybe call them if you want it.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

sometimes. It's a les paul, why not put a 250k volume and/or tone pot on the bridge side electronics?

Comment

Stainless frets definitely make a guitar brighter. So do new strings. I second trying 250k pots first before you change the pickup.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X