HH strat with a super switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH strat with a super switch

I'm racking my brain around the wiring and can't seem to get what I want working. Current pickup configuration is HH strat with a 5 way super switch, 1 vol, and 2 tones. The pickups are a 59/custom bridge and a 59 neck. I had previously set this up with 1 vol per pickup and a shared tone knob with the following config on the super switch 1- full bridge, 2- inner coils of both, 3- full neck and bridge, 4- outer coils of both, 5- full neck. A lot of these positions seemed unusable to me and muddy. I went through and found the best combinations. What I want is 1 vol, 1 tone per pickup, and then the following on the 5 way super switch....... 1 - full bridge, 2 - bridge slug coil, 3 - both full pickups, 4 - neck slug coil, 5 - full neck.

I tried the wiring diagram on the SD website similar to this, but it has a standard switch. I tried to translate it in my mind to work with the super switch, but it has the red and white wires together which is leading to the screw coil being the one available in the split instead of the slug.......this doesn't matter so much for the neck, but the bridge is a hybrid pickup with a stronger slug coil. I looked through the dimarzio wiring diagrams and translated the colors to the SD colors and it's still not right.

Does anyone have a diagram for this setup?

Here is the SD diagram I've used that seems to split to the screw coil

Here is the Dimarzio... a wonky thing here is that there's no cap on the bridge tone.

Originally posted by drwx View Post
    I'm racking my brain around the wiring and can't seem to get what I want working. Current pickup configuration is HH strat with a 5 way super switch, 1 vol, and 2 tones. The pickups are a 59/custom bridge and a 59 neck. I had previously set this up with 1 vol per pickup and a shared tone knob with the following config on the super switch 1- full bridge, 2- inner coils of both, 3- full neck and bridge, 4- outer coils of both, 5- full neck. A lot of these positions seemed unusable to me and muddy. I went through and found the best combinations. What I want is 1 vol, 1 tone per pickup, and then the following on the 5 way super switch....... 1 - full bridge, 2 - bridge slug coil, 3 - both full pickups, 4 - neck slug coil, 5 - full neck.

I tried the wiring diagram on the SD website similar to this, but it has a standard switch. I tried to translate it in my mind to work with the super switch, but it has the red and white wires together which is leading to the screw coil being the one available in the split instead of the slug.......this doesn't matter so much for the neck, but the bridge is a hybrid pickup with a stronger slug coil. I looked through the dimarzio wiring diagrams and translated the colors to the SD colors and it's still not right.

Does anyone have a diagram for this setup?

Here is the SD diagram I've used that seems to split to the screw coil

Here is the Dimarzio... a wonky thing here is that there's no cap on the bridge tone.
    https://d2emr0qhzqfj88.cloudfront.ne..._ep1112y_0.pdf
    The attached diagram uses a 5 way superswitch and gives you the 5 pickup combinations you requested. It should have come up in the results when you used the Seymour Duncan Wiring Diagram webpage.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-29-2021, 11:24 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

ah thanks, not sure how i missed that. so to do 2 tone pots, rather than jumpering the 2 far left lugs, I'd do bridge to the bottom far left and neck to the top far left, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by drwx View Post
        ah thanks, not sure how i missed that. so to do 2 tone pots, rather than jumpering the 2 far left lugs, I'd do bridge to the bottom far left and neck to the top far left, correct?
        Bridge hot wire goes to far left lug of Bridge tone pot. Then another wire goes from that same lug on that tone pot. to the 5 way switch. [Edit: technically its the far RIGHT lug of the tone pot, not left. In that diagram the tone pot is depicted in opposite orientation of the volume pot.

Same arrangement for Neck pickup and Neck tone pot.

Then, one output wire from 5 way switch to Master Volume pot far left lug, and then middle lug of Master Volume pot to Output Jack.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 08-30-2021, 08:49 AM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
          Bridge hot wire goes to far left lug of Bridge tone pot. Then another wire goes from that same lug on that tone pot. to the 5 way switch. [Edit: technically its the far right lug of the tone pot. In that diagram, the tone pot is depicted in opposite orientation of the volume pot.]

Same arrangement for Neck pickup and Neck tone pot.

Then, one output wire from 5 way switch to Master Volume pot far left lug, and then middle lug of Master Volume pot to Output Jack.

Comment

Working...
          X