New Wiring Diagram - Add Neck Option for SSS Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wiring Diagram - Add Neck Option for SSS Strat

Here's a wiring diagram with a blender pot and an optional push-push defeat for a blender circuit for an SSS Strat.

Standard 5-way switch, master volume, master tone, third pot used as the blender.

THe "Add neck" works in P-1 and P-2. If you want it to work in P-1 only I think you'll need to use a superswitch, as the regular switch blade spans between the bridge and middle input lugs to give you P-2, not to connect to individual lugs for each position.

It has the advantages, I think, over wiring the blender directly to the output lug of:
    1. automatically defeating the "add neck' in P-3, and
    2. prevents the bridge being active in P-4 and / or P-5.
    Because you're using the third knob as the blender, you'll need to wire a master volume and a master tone Telecaster style.

That means you don't need to use the second bank of contacts on the switch to switch the tones on and off, freeing them up to use to automatically add the "add neck" in P-1 and P-2, defeat it in P-3 and to stop the bridge coming in in P-4 or P-5.

Any errors, please enlighten.

https://www.strat-talk.com/attachmen...-5-jpg.504625/
    Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 09-01-2021, 09:44 AM.

I can't see it, I don't have a strat talk account.

In the simplest way you can express it,, what does the wiring do?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Wire one side of the standard 5-way, the standard 5-way way. Bridge to P-1, middle to P-3, neck to P-5. You get P-2 and P-4 because the blade on the switch bridges between P-1 and P-3 and P-3 and P-5 respectively, remember. I'll call the switch side with all the pickup "ins" and the common output to the switch the "input side".

Now run a jumper from the "out" or "common" lug on the input side to the "out" or "common" lug on the other side. I'll call that side the tone side. Do not wire up any tone controls to the "tone side", however.

Now connect a jumper from the neck input on the "input side" to the central lug on a standard pot. Wire one outer lug on that pot to the P-1 connection on the "tone side" of the switch. Yu will have to figure out which outer lug to use so that the pot acts the "right way".

If you want to you can use a "no load" pot or use a push-pull / push-push or separate switch as an additional on/off. Up to you. You can also delete the blender pot if you like and just use an on/off switch.

You'll need to wire up the common volume and common tone the Telecaster way.

If you want two tones, and don't want a blender, just a switch, I expect you can wire up the two tones, but I haven't worked that through yet.

The way this works is that the jumper from the neck pickup and blender loop only connects to the common output lug on the "tone side" of the switch in P-1 and P-2. In P-3 to P-5 its a dead end. Therefore the "add neck" can only be active in P-1 and P-2. OTOH the bridge pickup remains connected only in P-1 and P-2, so you don't get an active bridge in P-3, P-4 or P-5.

Comment

Working...
      X