Pickups for metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for metal?

Metalheads - what do you all use for ridiculously massive chuggage and clarity with riffage?

Anyone else - how much do "metal" pickups assist with tone sculpting? What's the point beyond Being generally higher output?

I ask because I like playing this style, and have had fun for years palm muting and riffing on vintage style pickups into a hot amp. In fact my favorite metal type playing has come from my Strat and Tele. But as I build out my guitar family, I'm finding that one guitar doesn't quite have its own identity... And I've never had a dedicated metal guitar, so why not give it a shot and try a set of Full Shreds or two JBs or Sentiment/Pegasus or a Dimebucker?

My preferred metal is progressive metal (Darkwater thanks to the recent Off Topic thread, Coheed, 1990-2008 Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Mastodon), and some of the new djent stuff has cool tones too, but I'm interested to hear from anyone playing any style of metal and seeking that balance of brutality and beauty.
    Last edited by alex1fly; 09-01-2021, 04:50 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

For me the choice would depend heavily (p.i.) on which guitar I was loading.

If the guitar already had a spongier low-end and buttery/warm highs then I'd get a Nazgul/Dimebucker/X2N,,,,,along those lines.

If the guitar leaned more towards the tight/bright/spanky/open side then I'd maybe go with an Invader or D'a-X,

JP was using the D-Sonic or Crunchlab maybe for the Systematic Chaos album, and those tones really worked well through the mesa marks.
    I've heard that D-Sonics are close to the Duncan Distortion,,,,,but I can't say that's true or not.

Comment

I used to think that high output burners were it. Now I think that the clearest tightest medium gain pickup is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

For me it's a combination of everything: guitar, pickup, pedals, amp, speaker/cab. I've found that, on the same guitar/pickup/pedals/amp combo, the speaker and cab (closed / open / combo) choice makes a massive difference. But to cut my answer short, given a generally tight overdrive (as clean boost) / amp / cab tone, I get some massive/brutal chugga/djent sounds with Black Winter, Custom, Custom8 and JB8, my current bridge pickups. On my EQ configuration I found DiMarzio TZ and SD too dark, so it's all Duncans for me in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          I used to think that high output burners were it. Now I think that the clearest tightest medium gain pickup is the way to go.
          Yeah, that's my "feeling" as well. For example, when playing on the Black Winter guitar I have to back off the volume on the OD pedal, or the gain on the amp slightly, while with the JB8 and the 2 Customs the palm muted riffs and single note runs stay tight with the common EQ & volume settings.
          N.B. I'm a mids+bass+presence person, with the highs rolled back. Maybe I should reconsider my tone and give the TZ another chance?

Comment

I am still using my Distortion or Custom, depending on which amp. But I am dying to get a set of Black Winters and try them out.
            I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

And make sure to not confuse dcr for output. In-general high dcr will make for a more compressed response.

For the clarity associated with progressive and djent styles I would be looking at high-output ceramics with modest dcr (like in the 10-14 range).

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                Yeah, that's my "feeling" as well. For example, when playing on the Black Winter guitar I have to back off the volume on the OD pedal, or the gain on the amp slightly, while with the JB8 and the 2 Customs the palm muted riffs and single note runs stay tight with the common EQ & volume settings.
                N.B. I'm a mids+bass+presence person, with the highs rolled back. Maybe I should reconsider my tone and give the TZ another chance?
                I keep wanting to try a 59b, Full Shred b or the Screaming Demon. But I would have to have a new guitar to put it in. And that's not happening at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a WLH for metal and I play some very extreme styles of metal.

Comment

A great recipe is a vintage-output pickup that runs through some serious boost pedals. I like to use something with a fairly even EQ, then use an EQ to boost some frequencies. you don't always need super hot pickups.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Here’s the thing… it doesn’t really matter all that much.

Want a metal sound? Plug your guitar into a Dual Rectifier, 5150, or similar, and dial in a metal tone. Maybe toss an overdrive in front if you want a more modern metal sound.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                        Here’s the thing… it doesn’t really matter all that much.

Want a metal sound? Plug your guitar into a Dual Rectifier, 5150, or similar, and dial in a metal tone. Maybe toss an overdrive in front if you want a more modern metal sound.
                        I'd have to agree almost. I can tell a difference between vintage output and high output. But in the end, it's all different flavors of "good" to me.

Comment

Thanks all! Good things to ponder. Also enjoying this incredible pickup comparison video. Great playing, and cool to hear several metal techniques demo'ed back to back with several metal pickups.

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I can tell a difference between vintage output and high output. But in the end, it's all different flavors of "good" to me.
                          I think this is the heart of what I'm getting at. Yes, you can do it with any pickup. But what's the high output flavor all about? What does it offer that medium/low output pickups don't? Yes, obviously more output to overdrive your amp... but is that it? Is there a difference in feel/vibe? Does it inspire in a different way? I've never used a high output passive pickup in 20+ years of playing, so it's a genuine curiosity.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly
                            I think this is the heart of what I'm getting at. Yes, you can do it with any pickup. But what's the high output flavor all about? What does it offer that medium/low output pickups don't? Yes, obviously more output to overdrive your amp... but is that it? Is there a difference in feel/vibe? Does it inspire in a different way? I've never used a high output passive pickup in 20+ years of playing, so it's a genuine curiosity.
                            Yes, it does feel & sound different. With the hotter pickups, you get more compression, which, just like turning up the gain, makes it feel easier to play.

My first response came off sounding more "meh, whatever" than I think I really feel. If you're plugging a guitar straight into a cleanish Fender amp, I think the choice of pickup matters a lot more. For the type of metal tones I'm into, the amp, the speakers, the way the guitar is setup, the pick angle, and the pick itself are more crucial than the pickup.

My main player guitars are a Tele with Lace Sensor singles, a PRS CE24 with DiMarzios (Norton/Air Classic), PRS 305 with the stock singles, and a Falbo multiscale 8 string with Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi pickups. The output of those guitars ranges from vintagey to flamethrower, and I can get a metal tone I'm happy with from any of them. The common thread is I'm using a Dual Recto amp model, lighter strings and lower action than I used to use, and a .88mm Jazz III pick held at a fairly severe angle.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

IMO you get a punchier and more instant attack having more output right out of the gate.
                              Again, I'm not talking about dcr, just output.

Higher output with modest dcr gives you the jolt without as much compression as some of the older standards like the Invader and Distortion.

Look at the specs on some of the more modern models like Nazgul, Crunchlab, and Aftermath.
                              The Sonic Seducer in my Schecter is another great example of this. Huge ceramic magnet and a dcr of about 12. It crunches tight and clear but also sounds very full.
                              Last edited by dave74; 09-02-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X