1998 Gibson Les Paul Special P100's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special P100's

Hello all, so for a while now I was debating on just getting used newer regular Gibson P90's bridge & neck or the Seymour Duncan SP90-1 Vintage neck & SP90-2 Hot bridge P-90 set for my Gibson les paul special and swapping out the GraphTech saddles for new Gibson saddles but don't know if that would work well with the classic rock/hard rock covers band I'm in or not?

All pots changed from factory 300k to Gibson 500k, Grover 135C tuners. Currently have a Dimarzio p90 super distortion in the bridge and stock Gibson p100 in the neck. Playing rock/classic rock/hair metal covers in a cover band tuned to standard E.

If I sell it, I would most likely get a used Gibson les paul studio with humbuckers with the 60's profile neck. I'm not sure though which model les paul studio has the 60's neck profile and what year is best to go with to stay under $1000?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

I'd have to think swapping them out for SD P90s would be a big improvement, and I have always dug Graph Tech saddles on performance guitars. Provided you are OK with the natural hum from a P90 pickup, you won't find a better set for hard rock.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Duncan also offers a 2 flavors of stacked P-90 (regular and hot) in case you don't want to deal with single coil hum.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Duncan also offers a 2 flavors of stacked P-90 (regular and hot) in case you don't want to deal with single coil hum.
        I was not aware they made stacked P90's? Are they similar to the Gibson P100's that came stock in my Gibson?
        Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Much better in my opinion.

Comment

Yes, the P90 Stack is much better than Gibson's version.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hello all!! Need pickup suggestions for my Les Paul Special P-100 that can get as close as possible to a humbucker sound. Looking at Alnico V magnets for smooth overdriven tones that are punchy and articulate with edge and bite, with fat lows and silky highs, and a midrange kick that cuts through the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
                Hello all!! Need pickup suggestions for my Les Paul Special P-100 that can get as close as possible to a humbucker sound. Looking at Alnico V magnets for smooth overdriven tones that are punchy and articulate with edge and bite, with fat lows and silky highs, and a midrange kick that cuts through the mix.
                Sounds like you want everything in your eq. Ceramic fits that better than A5.

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
                  AFAIK, Duncan doesn't make a P90-sized humbucker, And their P90-sized stack is designed for P90-like tone.

I'd think about DiMarzio's P90 sized humbuckers, the P90 Super Distortion or P90 Tone Zone.
                  That's about as fat as you can get and still fit in a P90 rout.

Their DLX Plus Neck would probably be a good match. If you want a little fuller you could use the bridge version there instead.
                  I have the DLX bridge in a Les Paul Special and I feel it probably could do well as a big sounding neck pickup.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

AFAIK, Duncan doesn't make a P90-sized humbucker
                    You never heard of their Phat Cats?

xb67oedrvcdwjwmtlicd.jpg (465×620) (cloudinary.com)

Comment

The Custom Shop does.

Humbucker under P-90
                      The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Also the mini-humbucker (not the Firebird model) is P-90 sized (though I'm not certain about the mount and route differences required underneath.)
                      Classic Les Paul Deluxe vintage mini humbucker tone with rich midrange harmonics and an authentic ’60s growl in the bridge and that familiar sparkly mini.

Comment

I would look into minihumbucker, they have the same size as P90 and can be mounted in a p90 guitar. I have a Gibson Tribute 50 with a minihumbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck. It rocks!
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Mini-humbuckers are NOT the same size as a P-90.

Comment

Neither are the Phat Cats

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                              Mini-humbuckers are NOT the same size as a P-90.
                              You are right, as always.
                              Last edited by hamerfan; 03-06-2022, 01:30 PM.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                              X