No announcement yet.

Hsh Strat with super switch coil split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hsh Strat with super switch coil split?

Hey all!

First go at doing anything pickup wise, so go easy

Ive got a Hsh start the the former owner put an invader in at the bridge - I'd like to split that just so I have the option as I find the invader a bit aggressive at times.

I followed this image for the split:

And from the 'hot output' pin on the switch I connected 2 wires, and then connected these to the original positions on the 5 way super switch.

Original connections:

New connections :

Pics below show the dpdt and the connections:

But something isnt right - I'm not getting just one of the coils active when I test it? I'm just trying to get the option to coil split at the bridge only

Any help would be great!
    Cheers
    Darren
    Last edited by Darrencp; 09-26-2021, 03:39 PM.

Welcome to the forum.

The Original / New connection pictures appear to be the same photo.

It was unnecessary to connect the black/North and green/bare pickup wires to the split switch. All you needed to do was put the red/white wires to one side of the switch and a connector to ground where the green/bare are shown in the switch drawing you had.

It looks via the super-switch like you connected the black/North/hot wire of the pickup to a white wire in position 3 that is bridged to position 4, and a red wire in position 5 along with a yellow wire on the same set of lugs bridged from position 2-4 possibly, but I don't know where those other wires go or what they are doing. Can't tell but it looks like the white wire is the middle pickup and one of the yellow wires might be the neck pickup, and you are putting the Invader to the middle and neck pickups set of lugs on the super-switch but only in bridge position 1. Wiring the bridge to two sets of lugs isn't right; not sure what impact that has - sending the bridge signal through two paths of the super-switch.

Looks like you have a yellow wire bridged across positions 3-5, and some other wire similarly bridged across 1-3.

Nothing on the switch looks normal or as I would expect for the described goals.

This is all you need (don't really need a super-switch at all), just ignore the neck red/white connections to the switch if you don't want to split the neck also. I don't know how many tone controls you have - most HSH just have one IME. But if you need to see 2 tone controls, there's another version of this with two tone controls. If the guitar came with a super-switch, then it will take another diagram to show how to use all 4 sets of lugs for the 3 pickups.

Comment

Working...
    X