banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passive High Pass Filters In Guitars With Active And Passive Pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive High Pass Filters In Guitars With Active And Passive Pickups!

So I know this is not knew but I felt this needed to be revisited. There are many sources of information on passive high pass filters in guitars with passive pickups but I have yet to see the same passive high pass filter used with the Seymour Duncan Blackouts (or active pickups for that matter). I have already delved into this matter so I will run you guys up to speed on what I have done. ***Please feel free to share and comment you experiences if you have experimented with this. I am very interesting in hearing you story***

My first attempt with this was on a passive pickup guitar. I attempted to use 500k pot like some folks but I found an issue that no one was bringing up. The issue is if you used a 500k pot and rolled the pot over to the position that would remove the most bass, it actually shut off the guitar (not that capacitor I was using was a .047 uf, that's the same pot it was using for the tone circuit). However when I used a 1M ohm pot(or 1000k pot) it did not do this. 1M ohm pot is what you are suppose to use anyway. If you are wondering how I wired it please look at the photo I will attach. It will be the pot at the very bottom that is labeled 1M using a .001uf capacitor (well I will upload it when this website will stop being a butt and let me upload a photo).

So that brings me to the Seymour Duncan Blackouts and trying to use a passive high pass filter in the guitar. I ended up have the same issue just like the passive pickups. With a 25k pot and using the capacitor that was provided by S.D. if I rolled the pot all the way back to remove the max amount of low end it ended up killing all of the output of the guitar. So given that on the passive guitar I went from a 500k pot to a 1000k pot I decided to try the same thing on the S.D. and use a 50k pot instead of a 25k pot (doubling the resistance). And just like the the guitar with passive pickups, it solved the problem. I now still had output even when I rolled the pot all the way down to remove all of the bass. Again I was using the factory capacitor at the time and decided to swap to different capacitors (and that's where things went wrong). I used the same capacitors that I was using for the passive guitar and I think that was the mistake. The resistance and the capacitor directly effect the frequency where is starts cutting at and I now had really low resistance on my pots compared to the guitar with passive pickups.

I was in the middle of playing my guitar when it suddenly cut out (wires and pots were loose because I was swapping in and out caps) and I believe its because something touched. I found the ground wire from the pickup had broken off so at the time I didn't think nothing of it. I reconnected the ground but the pickup was dead. I am question how the ground wire just broke a good solder but I think maybe the wires got to hot because it touched one of the legs of the capacitor and broke itself or the cap was holding up the output of the pickup that it couldn't handle it. I will buying another Blackout and trying this again with the 50k pot and capacitors that are in a range appropriate for that pot value. I have not reviewed this but I am using this to figure it out ( https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-...pass-high-pass ).

I will let you guys know what happens next when the new pickup comes in but I am hoping I can get this resolved and working. Also no one else to my knowledge has successfully has done this (that I know of). Please share your experiences and your journey. I will try again to load pics and schematics if it wants to cooperate later. Thanks for reading

So what value capacitors did you use for the bass cut?

Comment

If I recalled I used were .0022uf, .0033uf, .0047uf. They were also ceramic disc capacitors. It is just what I had with me at the moment. I used them with both the passive and the active pickup setup.

And yes I am aware of the at thread but it does not cover active pickups with this circuit.

Comment

So you used values more appropriate for active pickups but otherwise the wiring scheme was the same? Because I have used .0047 caps on 25K pots for treble-bleed with my active pickups.

Comment

That is correct. The wiring scheme is the same just the values are different. I just tested out .0068uf, .0039uf, .0027uf and .0022uf on a passive pickup for the hpf and those barely did anything (just wanted to leave that there as a note and that is with a 1m ohm pot).

I ordered the new blackout last night and will be expecting it sometime in the up coming week. I will be fastening everything down everytime to make sure nothing touches. If the pickup goes boom boom again then maybe it is not possible. But I doubt thats the case because I got it to work it just didnt last too long.

Comment

Originally posted by mmunoz View Post
            I just tested out .0068uf, .0039uf, .0027uf and .0022uf on a passive pickup for the hpf and those barely did anything (just wanted to leave that there as a note and that is with a 1m ohm pot).
            IOW, you've tested 6.8nF, 3.9nF, 2.7nF, 2.2nF with passive pickups and it didn't work?

That's not what one would expect because 2.2nF is the value used in some guitars (G&L, Reverend) and that we can hear in action here: https://tonefiend.com/guitar/two-ban...cheap-awesome/

Now and for the record: the "corner frequency" of a high pass filter not only depends on the values of other components (resistance of the pots, capacitance involved, input impedance of the "host" effect or amp). It also depends on the location of the series cap relatively to the pots.

If a series cap is wired after the volume control, it will cut way less bass...

BTW, it's also better to wire the "regular" (low pass) tone control BEFORE any hi pass filter or they won't work well together.

Hence the schematic floating on the Web:

Pickup > low pass > hi pass > volume control = optimal signal path (without solving the downsides of such circuits: they don't work so well with some effects like a Fuzz Face, for example... and they corrupt the tone of the pickups in parallel if one pickup only is affected by the hi pass filter).

Regarding a "passive" hi-pass filter with active pickups... I've not dug the question but seeing the 1k output impedance of the Blackout's, I'd intuitively expect a notcieable difference of cutoff frequency with a same series cap after a passive PU then after a Blackout (something like a ten times higher corner frequency).

FWIW. This post can also be considered as a side note inspired by first hand experience (with passive pickups at least) and that I share here with other musicians.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I haven't had any luck with passive tone controls with active pickups. However, I have had luck with using active tone controls like the EMG BTC and ARTEC QTA. I have three guitars with the ARTEC QTA.

Comment

Freefrog I end up using a few other caps. I forgot what they were off the top of my head but 2.2nf does some low cut but for me not enough but it is very usable. In a high gain tone it compresses the **** out of it and the low end needs more control but I do notice that when its a clean tone I want more low end.

I am still waiting for my new pickup to come in the mail by the way. Also freefrog thank you for the order of components. That I didn't know. Is this something you personally tested or where did u get this info?

Comment

Originally posted by mmunoz View Post
                  Freefrog I end up using a few other caps. I forgot what they were off the top of my head but 2.2nf does some low cut but for me not enough but it is very usable. In a high gain tone it compresses the **** out of it and the low end needs more control but I do notice that when its a clean tone I want more low end.

I am still waiting for my new pickup to come in the mail by the way. Also freefrog thank you for the order of components. That I didn't know. Is this something you personally tested or where did u get this info?
                  You're welcome: always glad to share. Yes, it's something that I've personally tested. I've posted a bunch of things about that here (the problem discussed above being evoked in the post 12 of this thread): https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/on.../#post-9713104
                  Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Yea man I appreciate that link. I did a quick skim of it and I like what I see. I will give it a good read later. I am still waiting on my pickup to come in from sweetwater but I hope they hurry up.

Comment

My active pickiups just came in. I will be installing them today and begin experimenting again with a passive hpf. Wish me luck.
                      ./

Comment

Working...
                      X