SH-1 vs SH-2 neck versions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-1 vs SH-2 neck versions.

The 59 and Jazz necks are pretty close in specs. How would you characterize the difference between these two? I know what a 59n sounds like. Never heard a Jazz.

Thanks;
    Artie

Edit: I should add - I'm thinking about what to mate with an Antiquity II bridge in a SH Squier Tele. (Nickel covered neck.)
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 12-25-2005, 09:49 PM.

Re: SH-1 vs SH-2 neck versions.

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    The 59 and Jazz necks are pretty close in specs. How would you characterize the difference between these two? I know what a 59n sounds like. Never heard a Jazz. Thanks; Artie Edit: I should add - I'm thinking about what to mate with an Antiquity II bridge in a SH Squier Tele. (Nickel covered neck.)
    Uh, if you absolutely must have nickel cover, use 59n. I've heard only recordings, and I own a Jazz. I'd say Jazz is more of a modern sound, and 59 more of a vintage sound. If you look at the humbucker main page, it puts them into classifications. I like the jazz, personally, but if you look at the tone chart, the Jazz has more treble than the 59 does, or seems to, at least to me. The Jazz is more of a clean and crystal type pickup, while the 59 has a vintage sound. However, for all-out-blues, SD sells a dual 59 combo. The "Hot Rodded" combo is the Jazz/JB. Sorry for rambling, but for some reason I feel like this question has such an obvious answer that I don't really know how to respond. Just listen to sound clips. Look at the sound clips area of the forum and you should be able to find a lot of clips of different combinations. There's also the Tone Wizard, and the humbucker page that has pretty good descriptions.
    My Music Page
    Originally posted by vinterland
    I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
    Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Imagine that the EQ bamd of the 59 has been shifted up a bit and the bass response drops along with it. That's basically a Jazz. It's brighter and cleaner sounding with a bit of a cut in the bass frequencies. In a Tele, I'd do the Jazz.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
        Imagine that the EQ bamd of the 59 has been shifted up a bit and the bass response drops along with it. That's basically a Jazz. It's brighter and cleaner sounding with a bit of a cut in the bass frequencies. In a Tele, I'd do the Jazz.
        Cut? To me it felt like it had more bass than the JB, but I could be wrong.
        My Music Page
        Originally posted by vinterland
        I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
        Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

The Jazz was in the neck and JB in the bridge, right?

What your hearing is the difference in positions; or more acurately, the difference in string excursion between the neck and bridge position.

Try the Jazz at the bridge and JB in the neck and you'll hear what I mean.

Comment

Thanks guys. It doesn't have to be covered, but thats whats in there now, and it does look good. I have a Stag Mag that I'm going to try first, but there's no way to cover it. Thats why I was thinking of the 59 or Jazz.

Artie

Comment

Does anyone in here PREFER the Jazz over the 59? IF SO, DO TELL!
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

PS - Do any "JAZZ" players actually use the JAZZ HUMBUCKER?
                1973 Les Paul Standard
                1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  I have a Stag Mag that I'm going to try first, but there's no way to cover it.
                  i guess you can. you just need to drill extra holes in the covers or maybe enlarge the existing holes.
                  the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

I preffer the Jazz to the Stock 59.

That said, the PGn kills them both.

Comment

I prefer the '59 over the Jazz. For a long time it was the other way around but I've finally settled on the '59. It has a great 'rough edge' vintage vibe where the Jazz sounds more 'polished'.
                      The Jazz does have a great clean tone the is just a little more sweeter than the '59 because of it's slightly compressed highs like the JB has also.
                      The '59 has a deeper tone than the Jazz.

Both are awesome and that's why I have them both, the Jazz will soon be installed into my Vantage to give the JB some company, it's a great combination, just like the '59/C5 is!

Benjy, how would you compare the '59 and Jazz with the PG?

Comment

The closest of those two to the PGn is the 59, as far as overall output is concerned.

Tonally, the PGn still has a bright top end like the 59, but it has a lot more mids, which help it punch through a lot better. It feels more muscular.

Also, there is no flub or mud in the bottom end like on the 59.

It can get a lot nastier than the 59 with OD. If you play a lot of distorted leads on the neck, you might like the PG.

The cleans are good as well. They have plenty of sparkle and cut while still being warm. All of this with no mud.

Comment

The closest of those two to the PGn is the 59, as far as overall output is concerned.

Tonally, the PGn still has a bright top end like the 59, but it has a lot more mids, which help it punch through a lot better. It feels more muscular.

Also, there is no flub or mud in the bottom end like on the 59.

It can get a lot nastier than the 59 with OD. If you play a lot of distorted leads on the neck, you might like the PG.

The cleans are good as well. They have plenty of sparkle and cut while still being warm. All of this with no mud.
                          Cool thanks! Good description!
                          Does it have that deep howl of the '59 as well?

Comment

Do you mean when you bend a note?

If so, yes, and the PG does it even better. Even the plain strings do it with a PG.

If you play a lot of downtuned riffs with a thin bodies guitar like a PRS or SG, go with the 59. For everything else, I like the PG.
                            Last edited by Benjy_26; 12-26-2005, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Do you mean when you bend a note?

If so, yes, and the PG does it even better. Even the plain strings do it with a PG.

If you play a lot of downtuned riffs with a thin bodies guitar like a PRS or SG, go with the 59. For everything else, I like the PG.
                              Thanks bro, merry christmas!

Comment

Working...
                              X