banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something Different... Alnico V perhaps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SZjammin83 View Post

Yea, I've been checking out the Sentient/Pegasus set and seriously taking them into consideration. I haven't been in such a hurry to do the swap as I initially was either as I had a NGD/NAD a couple times over the past few weeks (NAD was just ONE day two days ago) and my Les Paul with the Pearly Gates sounds f'n KILLER through the new Marshall DSL100HR.

The Pegasus/Sentient seems like a good idea for a change of pace, as I am typically drawn to more classic sounding pickups. I dig PAF tones. So pretty much anything that's higher output than a vintage style pickup is going to be a noticeable change from what I am used to, and it sounds like the Sentient is still a vintage-esque neck pickup just with a different voicing than my PG, and the Pegasus is a medium output and will certainly be hotter than the usual. Both are alnico 5s too, so it just seems like what I'm going for. Thanks for the replies and suggestions
    I would love to try them myself, but I would need another guitar in which to put them. And I would probably want it to be some sort of neck thru superstrat with a Floyd and an ebony board. And I don't have the cash for that atm.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Full Shred set. Scooped mids and tight attack - two things quite different than alnico 2 has to offer.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

what did you settle on? i have a3 neck and a2 bridge in a set in my lp and its great. a4 and uoa5 in another set and really like that too
        Its the A4/UOA5 combo in my R8. But I scored another bridge Ant (a very old one) with has a full charged A2 and is paired with stock Seth neck.
        ​I compared the dunaged A2 and with a A3 in neck, but did not hear too much difference. I liked the stock Seth better than both and better than a Ant neck with full charged A2.
        My guts say that a A3/A2 combo might be great in a semi. So I will give it a run in my Tokai ES Clone (they carry a Bare Knuckle Stormy. Monday set).
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Typical A5 tone is a sharp high end with scooped mids, and a good deal of bass. But there are windings with A5's that sound warmer, like WLH & the Rio Grande BBQ set.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
            I would love to try them myself, but I would need another guitar in which to put them. And I would probably want it to be some sort of neck thru superstrat with a Floyd and an ebony board. And I don't have the cash for that atm.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
            Sounds like you are describing my old ESP/LTD M-1001 Deluxe to a TEE!! I miss that guitar, but it just so happens I JUST got finished up with a build, or well, re-build that puts me in the same neck of the woods, but better. I've got my second favorite guitar ever, my 1996 Stratocaster, completely re-done. Initially was just swapping the hardware and accessories to change from chrome to black, so, new PRS style 6screw trem in black, pickup covers for my SSL-5's in black, and a new JB Jr in black (they were all white originally), and changing my SSS pickguard from grey pearl to white pearl, along with a new Fender Roasted Maple neck, Fender Black Locking tuners with Vintage style knobs, black string retainers, and Black Tusq XL nut, and of course the black knobs, switch tip, strap locks, and input jack and jack plate with black screws to make it all look right. Well then I sold a bunch of the old parts and made some quick unexpected money, part of which ended up being the pickups I had, so I decided to order a set of EMG SAs, at which point I ran into the same problem that started the whole thing when I initially started by trying the JB Jr bridge pickup.... I loved most everything about the guitar but the bridge just couldn't get it done if I wanted anything more than low gain (at least not for me), so, I bought a plunge router, and opened the bridge cavity up and did a nice professional job of it, and ordered an EMG 57tw bridge pickup. NOW, my Stratocaster is HSS with a 57tw in the bridge, and an SA in the middle, and an SA in the neck, and it is the best and most versatile pickup configuration I have ever had. My Gibson Les Paul with Pearly Gates is still my number one, but I definitely turned my Strat into something special, and it has more than satisfied my want for some different tones. Wish I could post some pics because it really turned out great and I'm proud of the job I did on this guitar!!
            My 1996 Fender Stratocaster EMGs with Black Stuff Re-deux
            ****!! I figured out how to include a picture for you guys!! That was a whole process, but it was worth it!! This guitar is SO BADASS now! Setup perfect with super low action, trem set to the deck but not fixed, and the new neck was worth every penny, same as the pickups. And for everybody who told me the 57tw was a terrible choice for the humbucker... You were all SO wrong! It sounds AMAZING with the SA middle and neck. And when you put it in single coil mode, positions 1 and 2 are still ALL Strat! Sometimes thinking outside the box really pays off! This is a true Strat that can hang with the best doing the high gain stuff too (and blow some of em out of the water all together!) A month ago I would've said to anyone that such a thing doesn't exist, but the proof is in the pudding and its right here!
            Attached Files
            "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

For anybody who wants to upload a pic.... I downloaded a free program called Foto-sizer, wrote my reply, clicked on the add image tool in the tool bar, clicked to the right of the URL tab at the top of the window that pops up on "upload", found the image I wanted to use in my files, right clicked on it and selected send to Foto-sizer, used the program to change it to 40% of its original size, then went back and found the newly sized image copy in my PC files and double clicked on it, at which point I guess it uploaded it but turned the upload into a URL formatt. I went through and checked a box that said "add caption box to image", and named the image, and added a quick description, then after ALL THAT, I clicked "ok", and voila!! For the first time in probably 2 years I have been able to finally share a pic on the SD Forum pages. I wouldn't want to go through all that every time I wanted to share an image, but for this, I was glad it ended up working, because I am really proud of that Lake Placid Blue Strat. It's not just the build, but the fact that something that on paper is seemingly so unconventional that I typically wouldn't want to "waste" time attempting it. But I decided to chance it, because I had past experience with the 57tw, and I instantly fell in love with the SA single coils when I installed the set (aside from wanting more from the bridge by way of being able to handle the heavier stuff), so I just had this feeling that the 57tw would pair up nicely with the 2 SA singles, and I was right as rain. The 57tw, with it's ability to have some of the openness and dynamic range that is normally reserved for passives, by using the exposed alnico/steel pole pieces and Lord knows what other technology EMG packed into them, along with the ability to also provide a solid single coil tone all in one awesome pickup, wound up pairing perfectly with the SA singles which share some of those same qualities as far as getting some passive pickup qualities in an active by utilizing the alnico V bar magnets! Yet both pickups are still actives, so you truly get the best of both worlds, AND the silence is literally golden when it comes to recording! I've had a blast playing the Strat through my Helix the past couple days! The possibilities just seem endless and there is nothing I can throw at this guitar that it won't do!
              "As I look back over a misspent life, I find myself more and more convinced that I had more fun PLAYING MY GUITAR than in any other enterprise. It IS really the life of KINGS...."

Comment

Originally posted by SZjammin83 View Post
                I have been playing a Pearly Gates set in my LP. I couldn't be happier with them,
                OK - STOP right here. Keep reading that over and over until it makes sense.

The OBVIOUS first step here is get another Les Paul. How about we do that first, and then we'll discuss what A5 pup goes in there. As for this Les Paul, leave it alone. Have mercy!

Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X