With EVH now no longer with us...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With EVH now no longer with us...

Would it make sense for Seymour and others that worked with him to talk about / document the work they did for him in the early days? Sort of like how Dimarzio has done with the articles on developing the MM EVH pickups etc or Sunset Studio is doing on the groups that worked there?

There is evidence that suggests for example that the Duncan custom was a/the wind that he did for Eddie. Is that in fact the case? The "Frankenstein" pickup seems awfully close to a CC which is a Custom wind with a different magnet. Where does the 78 fit? I suspect it was something he did after VH1 since EVH had stated he didn't like the sound of the first record. What about the IM1? where does that fit? The 5150 apparently had a JB in it when Dimarzio looked at to create the EVH MM pickups. EVH claimed it had a 59 at one point. I suspect both are true at different times.

Certainly, the SD folks won't know everything that EVH did with the stuff they made, but they would know what models were made when. Maybe what issue was trying to be solved. I don't want their recipes, just an accounting as they know it so its not lost to history.

I am always a fan of the history and story behind things but not sure how deep they could really go once it was out of their hands. I guess any info could be helpful and worth learning for folks.
    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
      I am always a fan of the history and story behind things but not sure how deep they could really go once it was out of their hands. I guess any info could be helpful and worth learning for folks.
      Sure, what he did with it once they made it would be speculation. But when they did it, what he was looking for etc would put some context around things I think. Given the history we do know, and the photographic evidence that's out there, more puzzle pieces will fit together and make the picture clearer.
      Last edited by Bill Dennis; 10-20-2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I wouldn’t care about the exact specs, but I’d like to hear about the relationship, and what Eddie was after, what his vision was, and how he conveyed what he wanted, etc.
        With Floyd Rose too.

Comment

Eddie's estate, his family, certainly still own any intellectual property related to his past achievements, so there will always be limits on what anyone else could reveal publicly. His passing absolutely did not release the keys to the vault into the public domain.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Eddie's estate, his family, certainly still own any intellectual property related to his past achievements, so there will always be limits on what anyone else could reveal publicly. His passing absolutely did not release the keys to the vault into the public domain.
            Exactly. Eddie VanHalen was a stickler on contracts (remember the brown M&Ms). They definitely have NDAs in place that extends beyond EVH's passing.

Comment

I would suspect if there is ever a documentary or biography about EVH, there would be a few stories from Seymour. I know MJ and Seymour write everything down, so they knew exactly what was talked about. They probably wouldn't speak in specifics, though.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I seriously doubt EVH had SD signing NDA's in the 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Exactly. Eddie VanHalen was a stickler on contracts (remember the brown M&Ms). They definitely have NDAs in place that extends beyond EVH's passing.
                  Roth came up with the M&M Rider. Hagar explained to EVH how royalties worked...

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Dennis View Post

Maybe not, but just because you can legally spill the beans, it doesn't mean you should, or will. If Ed asked them to keep this secret, then they will, even if he isn't here.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

or Sunset Studio is doing on the groups that worked there.
                      You watched their (Sunset Studios) YouTube channel vids too? Great stuff.

Comment

You're right - he had his attorney send Cease and Desist orders instead.

Comment

You're right - he had his attorney send Cease and Desist orders instead.
                          Using his name to sell a pickup is a very different thing than a nda

Comment

Using his name to sell a pickup is a very different thing than a nda
                            Alrighty then, just ask Seymour all he knows about EVH and see how much information comes back.

Comment

Working...
                            X