Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Advice You Wish You Could Have Given Yourself

Well gents, lets hear it

What gear advice do you wish you would have given yourself back years ago (or months ago, or last week, whatever)

It can be anything from "don't get sucked into the brand names / ad copy hype" to "save up to get what you want, instead of buying lots of junk", or "a transparent boost is just a volume pedal," or "DON'T SELL THAT EPIPHONE IT'S BETTER THAN YOU UNDERSTAND RIGHT NOW" ( that last one might be my own example lol)

One thing I'd definitely stress to myself, if I could go back and acquire gear with the knowledge I have now, is that "since you mod the **** out of everything anyway, just make sure your purchases have good bones, and go from there." Also, "the marketing department is not your friend".
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

There's no shortcut. When you can play the piece of music better your tone will improve much more than when you buy extra crap. Took me embarrassingly long to really figure that one out.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

A hotter pup isnt necessarily a better pup.
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        There's no shortcut. When you can play the piece of music better your tone will improve much more than when you buy extra crap. Took me embarrassingly long to really figure that one out.
        Absolutely. I’ve heard really good players sound fantastic doing SRV on a Les Paul/marshall rig. And guys with all the “right” equipment just not nail it.

Comment

Oh yeah, and I should give my current self the same advice: quit shopping for gear and spend that time practicing!

Comment

When I 14 I sold my guitar because I wanted to build a mini bike. "Don't ever sell your Gibson Les Paul kid! Have someone lock it up in a vault if that's what it takes!" It was a late 50's Standard.

Also, get a drive pedal!

Comment

“Instead of selling a pedal, put it in a box, wrap it and open it six months later”

Comment

Above all...that Pink BC Rich NJ Warlock, 1986?....buy that and hold on to it. Get: That Blue Jackson 1988 in Tallahassee. Buy That Pink Vandenberg too.

That Yamaha Pacifica - Don't get rid of it. Buy your old Peavey Classic back.

Buy two more Diaz Tremodillos and three Klons.

Don't let that Hamster eat your Studio Pro.

Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                  I think everyone should start out with the best gear possible, so that they know from the beginning what the real problem is.
                  Ha, my first thought was "save up your money while you live at home and buy the PRS CE24 now. It'll save you TONS of money and aggravation over the next 25 years."
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Don't sell the Rickenbacker 4001.
                    Don't sell the Ampeg V6-B.
                    Don't sell the Ibanez Lee Ritenour.
                    Don't sell the Robin Medley.
                    Don't sell the Dean E'Lite.
                    Don't sell the cherryburst Ibanez Artist.
                    Don't sell the '59 Les Paul, Jr.
                    Don't sell the '52 Telecaster.
                    Don't sell the Marshall double stack.
                    Don't sell the fretless Jazz Bass.
                    You get the idea....
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by zizyphus View Post
                      Well gents, lets hear it

What gear advice do you wish you would have given yourself back years ago (or months ago, or last week, whatever)
                      Almost 4 decades ago:

"Learn to build it yourself."

(I eventually took this advice and have been happy since the very early 2Ks)

Comment

Bb made me get a 2k foot bass and I'm setting it 2 months later.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Buy the '59 Les Paul immediately - do NOT let your fiancee talk you into spending that $4K on a Celica instead.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Save your money. Get the right tool for the job.

Comment

Don't sell that Gibson to help the gf (at the time) pay for guitar repairs.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X