banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seymour Duncan Hot Rails vs Duncan Designed HR-101 (Hot Rails)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Hot Rails vs Duncan Designed HR-101 (Hot Rails)

I'm going to buy Squier Deluxe with Duncan Designed HR-101 pickups: http://www.squierwiki.com/Deluxe-Hot-Rails-Strat.

Are those Duncan Designed rails comparable in terms of tone to Seymour Duncan Hot Rails? Is there any need to upgraqde them to Hot Rails, or are they good enough by themselves?

Fender Electric XII (1966), Fender Villager (1967), Fender Shenandoah (1967), Fender Strat XII (2003), Fender CD140S-12 (2008), Fender Tele Am. Dlx (2005), Fender Std Tele (1992), Squier Affinity Tele (2008), Ovation Pacemaker (1977)

It’s up to the listener

Get it, play it and tell us if you like it. If you don’t, tell us why and maybe we can recommend what to replace it with

Comment

They aren't the same, but if one is 'better' or 'worse' is a judgement call. Some people prefer one over the other. Both are high output, mid-focused single coil-sized humbuckers. There is certainly no need to upgrade them unless there is something about them you don't like.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My DD Hot Rails sounded very Fendery, but dark compared to most Strat type pickups. It's like it has snap and twang, but kind of muffled or a 'blanket over the speaker' kind of effect. If you have a bright amp or can set it brighter, it would probably offset the effect I heard. They're not bad, you just have to be willing to set things differently and work with them.

I have regular Hot Rails but haven't installed to compare yet.

Comment

Working...
        X