What can cause ALL the pickups to suddenly go microphonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can cause ALL the pickups to suddenly go microphonic

So, normally I'd attribute microphonics to a loose cover or insufficient potting, but yesterday I was changing up the wiring on a 3-pickup guitar and when I put everything back together, I've suddenly got a lot of excess handing noise.

In any position, I can tap (with my finger) on the bridge and get a loud thunk. I can get similar thunks from whichever pickup(s) are active on that setting. It seems unlikely to me that all three pickups would have developed the same issue at exactly the same moment, so I assume it must be a byproduct of something I've done at the overall instrument level. But I have no idea what.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

I'd bet for a faultly contact, behaving like a capacitor and accidentally forming a condenser microphone. Such things happen with a damaged guitar cable, a damaged or misplaced female jack plug etc.

Good luck in your debugging...
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Interesting. Since it's the same on all settings, I would think I should start with the hot output of the switch and go from there? Or maybe the common lugs on the switch?

Or could it be in the grounding, since everything ultimately shares one path/connection there?

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
      I'd bet for a faultly contact, behaving like a capacitor and accidentally forming a condenser microphone. Such things happen with a damaged guitar cable, a damaged or misplaced female jack plug etc.

Good luck in your debugging...
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Yes, it can be anywhere on the hot or ground side. I'd reflow all solder joints from (and including) the selector and I'd check the female jack plug.

Let us know how it turns. Good luck again!
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I learn something every time I log into this forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
            I learn something every time I log into this forum!
            You're not the only one! I love learning new things.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, it's a novel notion to me as well and I haven't yet quite tracked it down. These joints are getting pretty overworked too, which just makes everything more suspect.

I'm about half a step away from replacing all the components, trimming the leads and starting fresh.

Comment

I would focus on the jack, switch and all the ground connections,.. bridge & shielding especially.
                Last edited by solspirit; 12-10-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X