banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bright swamp ash HH tele. what bridge pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JB2 is super warm and matches with the WLH neck so that would be a great choice.

Comment

Custom2, ToneZone, or Dreamcatcher.

Comment

I was kinda pushing the Perpetual Burn, but I forgot that my favorite Tele, is Seymour's favorite Tele: The JB/Jazz combo. It's tough to beat in a dual 'bucker Tele.

Comment

CC or PATB-3.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

i have a patb3 here, and love it, but im thinking it may be too thin in this particular guitar, hence the cc or jb.

Comment

I have a PATB-1/3 set in an all maple Carvin DC127T. I was surprised at how thick it made that guitar. It's still a very present, articulate guitar, but it's filled out, even when compared to the APHn/CC combo that lived there for years. It IS brighter than that set in the very top end, but it's pretty much as thick as the APH/CC.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Custom Custom is a solid choice for a bright guitar. Terrific pickup that does a lot right and absolutely sings with gain.

Comment

Tone Zone?
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Brobucker would work great
                    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I know this is a SD forum, I’m not trying to advocate Gibson’s pickups, but their Classic 57 (+) is a rather smooth (little darker, compared to Burstbuckers at least) sounding pickup due to the even wound coils. In my bright sounding Les Paul, this works quite well to have a fat blues sound while taming the highs. It might be an option.

Comment

i have a 57+ but im thinking it wont be enough in this guitar, could try it though... i have brobuckers in other guitars, not sure if i wanna pull one since they sound so good where they are

Comment

I see a lot of JB recommendations...no, not me. I've tried several JBs in quite a few guitars and have tried them with just about every magnet I have. Initially I admit that I liked how the JB with A2 and with A8 sounded but they still had the unmistakable JB sound which got old very fast. I am NOT a JB fan and probably never will be after all of my experience with it, so...

That being said, if your Tele is bright and you're planning on using the WLH in the neck, you really can't go wrong with the CC in the bridge, especially if you add a split switch. There is NOTHING negative that I can think of with the Custom pup (except that the CC sounded a bit muffled in one of my LPs)...it works well with ANY magnet you can put into it and it splits extremely well.

So, my $0.02 is to not mess around with the JB. Put in the pup that you will want to keep in that guitar forever...the CC.

I would also recommend the v, v, master tone controls. I would also recommend using a 4-way switch since you will have a p/p for splitting. That way you will be able to split both pups and run the two split coils in series (as well as in parallel, and both full pups in series or parallel). It just gives you so many more tonal possibilities.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

My bright HH Tele sounded good with a JB in the bridge until I tuned down to drop D, at which point the bass got to flabby for me. It was better with a PATB-1 and is now very close to perfect with a Dimarzio Breed (an AT-1 would also be a close current production model and sounds great in my slightly less bright HSS Strat). Good luck with your search.

Edit: If those are still too bright, the Tone Zone fixed what I thought was an irreparably bright HH Les Paul Special.
                            Last edited by SweetClyde99; 01-05-2022, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              In my experience, that sort of Tele will sound awesome with the JB2...so pull the magnet from thew CC, and try the JB2. If that doesn't work, try the CC next. If THAT doesn't work....PAF Pro
                              ^ I came in to post this. A JB2 sounds like a loud WLH and would blend perfect and tame the thin/brightness just the right amount. A CC would also be a great match in this particular situation. My DiMarzio alternate might be a Super 3, like I had in my Basswood Fender HM Strat. In a bright thin guitar the Super 3 sounds like what a JB2 sounds like in a bright thin guitar.

Comment

jb2 is sounding pretty good here. i was gonna use 250k volume for the bridge pup with a5, might stick with 500k for the jb2

Comment

Working...
                                X