banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suddenly really liking a couple of the new Kiesel pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly really liking a couple of the new Kiesel pickups!

They in the past had a couple pickups they were pretty good but none really excited me until now. Two of the new designs in particular i am REALLY loving. Both medium output A2 designs which is some thing I have never seen them do until now. First is the Beryllium line both the singles and the humbuckers. Really sweet and smooth closest this in Duncans would be the Slash set. In reality like these better. Absolutely despised the Lithium set that came in my new DC 600. Shrill harsh and absolutely would not clean up with touch and the guitar volume like I wanted. So I had to find some replacements but with the direct mounts it was a little challenging to get the right look and fit with aftermarket pickups. I had been intrigued with the clips I had heard with the Beryllium sets so started looking for a used set. While looking for them found a pair of the new Marks A2 singles with a Beryllium bridge dirt cheap so snagged that also. Dropped the Beryllium set first in the DC 600 and was floored at just how good they sounded. So next swapped the Perpetual Burn and AP11 set in my Kiesel DC 135 for the Marks singles and the Beryllium bridge. Have played both set ups out now a few times so the honeymoon is over. REALLY liking these pickups and for the first time ever am really blown away by a set of Carvin Kiesel pickups.
    The Marks singles are like a cross between my Surfer !!'s and a set of Texas Hots really sweet and glassy but also have some real attitude with gain. Not just good but great sounding set and the Beryllium in the bridge is a great match. Here is a cool Kiesel jam with a couple plays running these pickups. the pink Delos Stel is playing has the same Mrks Single Beryllium set as my DC 135 and the black Solo Flanders is playing has the Beryllium set my DC 600 has.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2022, 11:16 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

that would be a change for sure, never really liked carvin pups much

Comment

Here is a live clip with the DC135 running the Beryllium bridge and Marks singles through my 91 Carvin X50 B Hot Rod mod head.

Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2022, 12:25 PM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I like the old AP11's and the C22's. I've never tried the new pickups. Do they sell them as aftermarket units?
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          that would be a change for sure, never really liked carvin pups much
          Same with me on Carvin Kiesel pickups. The M22SD was ok and I like the C22B they sound a lot like a Air Zone. Otherwise have not cared much for them. These are shockingly good though.In particular after experiencing those nasty Lithiums that came in my new DC 600. The Marks singles in particular are some of the absolute best sounding vintage Strat pickups I have ever heard. Scatter wound A2's and just fantastic sounding pickups. Because of how the DC 135 is routed would have had to go to Custom Shop or rout the guitar to use say Surfer II neck and middle single. You are only supposed to be able to get the Marks singles in a build for now and they are a $130 up charge. When a neck and middle that had been pulled out of a Delos showed up on Reverb for $100 flat with the Beryllium bridge I took a chance and grabbed them. Glad I did as they are fantastic!
          Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2022, 12:16 PM.
          Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
            I like the old AP11's and the C22's. I've never tried the new pickups. Do they sell them as aftermarket units?
            Like the C22's and AP 11's also. Some they do sell aftermarket but they aren't cheap. The Marks singles you can't get in particular outside of in a build unless you know some one. They are low production built to order. The Beryllium is about the same $ as a Duncan CS pickup. However they show up from time to time on Reverb used and that was how I got these. $130 for the Beryllium set with gold polls for the DC 600 and a $100 flat for the other set I could handle.
            Guitars

Comment

here is another clip of the DC 135 with the marks singles and Beryllium bridge. This time at lower gain running a TS 9 on the clean channel and really showing more the character of the Marks Singles.

Guitars

Comment

Here is a clip with the DC 600 and the Beryllium humbucker set. Has a 5 way 135 full humbucker 2 and 4 split.At about 9 min here the tracks stop and we are freefprm playing. REALLY liking the tones with these pickups It gives me something i didn't have that is really cool!

Guitars

Comment

Yeah, good news, as every Carvin/Kiesel pickup I have tried has been just barely 'good enough'. They simply were more of a guitar company than a pickup company.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Yeah, good news, as every Carvin/Kiesel pickup I have tried has been just barely 'good enough'. They simply were more of a guitar company than a pickup company.
                    Actually they started as a Pickup and amp company in 1946. Did the pickups in the original Moserite guitars like the Matthis in fact. Lot of folks really love some of the early Kiesel Carvin pickups and they bring some good $.
                    They kinda lost their way for a while though. Mark Kiesels newer designs for the most part have been pretty good over the last few years. It's Jeffs stuff like the Lithium series that sound like utter poo. Wouldda needed some Lithium to play that set in my DC 600 much longer.
                    they will never compete with a company like Duncan nor do they want to but several of the new pickup designs over the last few years and surprisingly good. like these in my guitars the Johhny Higland , Gambally , Greg Howe Parallax and the new SD 12 are all very very nice.
                    Check out Hilans tone here with his signature Kiesel and his pickups.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2022, 06:51 PM.
                    Guitars

Comment

Hiland

Last edited by Ascension; 01-17-2022, 07:04 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        Kiesel doesn't make the M22SD or any of the Classic Carvin pickups anymore ....too bad they were great pickups to my ears.

The M22SD had a Dimarzio Evolution vibe to it but it has clearer bass, better upper mids and an old Bill Lawrence XL500 treble response , if you raised the poles of the G,B and high E string.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ6stringsting View Post

Kiesel doesn't make the M22SD or any of the Classic Carvin pickups anymore ....too bad they were great pickups to my ears.

The M22SD had a Dimarzio Evolution vibe to it but it has clearer bass, better upper mids and an old Bill Lawrence XL500 treble response , if you raised the poles of the G,B and high E string.
                          I still have a couple maple spacer mesh shield original M22 SD's on hand. they are cool pickups. One is loose in my parts box the other in my Pink 91 X 220C with a M22N. It's still offered in the Jason Becker sig guitar with a M22N in the neck. They now have a M12SD that is really really cool. It was introduced in the new Jason Becker Ying Yang guitar with a Marks single in the neck and sounds fantastic! Not many clips up yet with it but had a chance to play a Ying Yang and like this pickup a lot. Bigger and smoother than the M22SD not overly compressed very articulate pickup.

I also liked the old Carvin AP 11 singles a lot as well as a couple of the C22's in particular. My White 13 DC 600 has a C22B/C22J seat in it and it's really nice. The C22B reminds me a lot of a Air Zone and the neck a Air Classic Dimarzio set up. Big round and sweet and will stay in that guitar.

Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            Hiland
                            His playing was great. I didn't like the pickups. My favorite tone for that style playing is Albert Lee.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It was an interesting demo because the pickups have Strat form factor, but sound more similar to a Tele.

Comment

Working...
                              X