Epiphone Les Paul Junior Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Les Paul Junior Pickup

I recently pick up a junior with a humbucker. It’s a 2007 made by Samick. Bolt on Neck. Really good fret work, intonation is spot on. I bought it to learn how to mod and work on my own guitars. I play mostly rock and blues and I’m looking for a pickup that would give me a nice warm tone. I play through a Hotrod Deluxe and a small Marshall tube amp. I’m leaning towards a classic 59 but I’m open to suggestion. I do like learning songs from Leslie West. Would the 59 be a good choice. Also when order do I choose bridge position since he junior only has one pickup.
    thanks

welcome to the forum!

leslie west had a p90 in his jr. you could put in a phat cat, which is a humbucker sized p90. not everyone loves them but i think the bridge, especially in a jr like yours, would be great. if you want to go humbucker, a 59b is a solid choice. i love a pgb in something like this too. what ever pup you get, a bridge model will almost always be a better choice.

Comment

I would go with a P-Rails. You would have the P90 and single (rail) for your classic rock and blues stuff. The humbucker is hot and will work for your harder rock stuff. You can get a lot of versatility of tone out of a single humbucker guitar.
      Last edited by Securb; 01-23-2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I vote for the Phat Cat.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

59 has body and sparkle with slightly scooped mids, often very good in mahogany guitars.
          But an Alnico Pro II would be warmer & smoother, with much richer midrange.
          Either way, IMO you definitely want a bridge version.

Are you certain a warm pickup is what you really want, though?
          You can always roll off the tone to darken a bright pickup; it's harder to add treble to a dark sound.
          A bright pickup also yields a strong initial transient, giving a bite that smoother pickups can't match.
          I think fairly prominent pick attack is a significant component of Leslie West's tone.

I might consider the Pearly Gates bridge, instead. Very popular for Gibsons.
          It's crisp & aggressive yet also has a vintagey sound & feel.

That's if you're going for a standard humbucker, rather than a hum-sized P90 or the P-rails.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I would go with a P-Rails. You would have the P90 and single (rail) for your classic rock and blues stuff. The humbucker is hot and will work for your harder rock stuff. You can get a lot of versatility of tone out of a single humbucker guitar.
            Custom custom with a series/parallel push pull.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought you were right on target with the 59. If you want more vintage blues and rock, look at the Antiquity.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

With a HRD or small Marshall, coping Leslie West, in bolt-on junior, I'd go Custom or 59/Custom. Bonus for push-pull pots. Customs do a great Fender sound split, which gets you to blues territory, especially if you play up toward the neck with the split coil. With two push pulls, you could make a triple-shot and get all the sounds. Screw coil is like a low-powered punk P-90, slug coil is like a Strat, parallel coils is like a Tele and full humbucker is face-melting rock.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It’s either going to be a Phat Cat or 59 or Pearly Gate. As I said I’m looking for a warm tone but bright tone is more flexible since I play thru two great amps and have good tone control on the guitar.
                  I appreciate your suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by John Albers View Post
                    Thank you everyone for your feedback. It’s either going to be a Phat Cat or 59 or Pearly Gate. As I said I’m looking for a warm tone but bright tone is more flexible since I play thru two great amps and have good tone control on the guitar.
                    I appreciate your suggestions
                    Let us know how this project turns out in the end (with pics).
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X