No announcement yet.

$100 Custombucker, Too Good To Be True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $100 Custombucker, Too Good To Be True?

Click image for larger version

Name:	82D48D63-2CF7-41D7-80BE-685AAB8926D1.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	6146829 Click image for larger version

Name:	7AB838EE-5344-40DD-9B80-8F9BEBB215E1.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6146830

So I came across this pickup today on Reverb..

I either just got a really great deal, or I was just bent over the kitchen sink without even a kiss first. Just not really sure which yet?

So the listening was for a Gibson Custombucker bridge pup, & the original asking price was $125 + $10 shipping..

I made a $100 offer, & shortly afterwards I got the pickup for $110!!! Awesome, I think?

This is a pickup set that routinely sells for more than $500 a set, & the majority of the time that I’ve seen them listed used, they’ve wanted even more than that! I mean $650 + shipping seems to be a popular price?

On one hand I could kinda see someone who wasn’t familiar with A3 Humbuckers, & how close to the strings they need to be finding it underpowered. Then deciding to change it, & dumping off the stock pickup cheap to help cover costs..

On the other hand, well the price is just kinda suspect…

The two pictures I’ve posted were the images from the listing, & you now have pretty much have all the information I do… So what do you guys think?
    Attached Files
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Could be you got a great deal. Then again, it may just be a Burstbucker.
    Seems to me buying from a seller who doesn't know their stuff could go either way.
    Here's hoping for the best outcome.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I’ve done it before-sometimes you just want to unload something asap and price it accordingly. What’s all that blue gunk? Is that why it’s priced low?

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
        I’ve done it before-sometimes you just want to unload something asap and price it accordingly. What’s all that blue gunk? Is that why it’s priced low?
        That’s what I’m kinda hoping for…

As for the “blue stuff” I think it’s just either a poorly relic’d, or straight up got scratched? Honestly I don’t much care about that as long as its the real deal!!!

I’ve got a half dozen brand new, & probably a few lightly aged, Duncan or Gibson covers. So changing that out is no problem at all…
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

What year is it? Is it a more recent unpotted one? Usually those go for a lot. I’ve seen older potted ones go for less. Or I guess you got really lucky if it’s unpotted!

Comment

Looks like it was gold, but not anymore. Could be a real Custombucker that's been beat a bit, so hard to sell unless it's a deal.

Comment

So as it turns out, it was really a Custombucker, it was in much better shape than the pictures showed! It was nickel, not gold, & BTW, it makes a fantastic neck pickup in my ES-330..

Just yesterday I found (& bought) a listing for 3 more Custombuckers, a light relic’d set, & a newer looking neck pup, all for $260!

Apparently the guy that I bought them from had just pulled them out of a pair of Southern Rock R9’s? One of what already had its bridge pickup replaced with a SNS…

He had them listed a little funny, but I was able to get confirmation that all three were indeed Custombuckers, as well as all three of them were in pretty incredible physical condition!

So not only did I get one Custombucker for $100, I actually got two complete Custombucker sets for about $350!!!

Comment

Working...
              X