NPD -- Bare Knucke Ceramic Warpig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPD -- Bare Knucke Ceramic Warpig

I've just tossed this guy into my Jackson KE-3. This guitar was too bright to my ears, and I need it for a project I'm currently starting up, so it was time for a change.

Right now, I'm loving what the C-Pig is doing in there. Even though I saw the spec sheet said "22k, ceramic magnet", I'm still really surprised at how much output it has; my previous experience with BKs had been that they tended to be pretty low output (and very low output for their spec), but I'm running the gain on my Bogner Twin Jet lower with this guitar now than with any other guitar I have. The bottom-end and thickness are there, as advertised, but it's not as "laid back" or "smooth" in the midrange as I've heard described sometimes; it's pretty brash in the mids, with a nice bark to it. It reminds me a bit of the Black Winter in the midrange, actually, but with even more output, and not as tight. Downpicked 8th note chugs are *huge* in the way that they are in a BW, but it's not as razor-tight on palm-muted 16th notes... but I'd probably shy away from using the BW in a bright guitar, whereas the C-Pig works great in one.

It's a great pickup. IMO it sits nicely somewhere between the Distortion and the BW, but as you said it has just a little more output, and also is a little wilder on the edges, both top and bottom, whereas the BW is trimmed and more mix-ready as they say nowadays.
    This is not the best comparison due to a little too much gain used, but it still shows that they are not far apart in character.

Comment

To my ears, the SD has more top end and better upper mid definition than the BK pickup.

Comment

You've got the power to spare, lower them down until they match the gain of you other guitars. The brashness should go away.

Its worth a shot.

Comment

Actually it's maybe more in-between the Invader and BW than it is the Distortion and BW.

Comment

Working...
          X