Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lookong for best noiseless neck single to go with this bridge PU

Hi

Hoping someone would have suggestions. I'm looking for a Duncan noiseless pickup to go with either of these humbuckers. My goal is to hopefully have both sets sound balanced as best they can be.

1. Noiseless neck single coil to go with a Sat Night Special in bridge

2. Noiseless neck single coil to go with a Jason Becker Perpetual Burn

i have google'd and cannot find much info on people looking for these types of combos.

Thank you very much in advance!

Keith

For the SNS, I recommend the STK-S4. For the PB, look at the Little 59. Of course, you didn't mention tone at all, just balance. These will be a good volume balance, but I am not sure what tone you are going for. Many times when balancing a single coil and humbucker, we have to strike a balance between the volume and tone.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! I would love the tone of the single to be as close as a traditional strat, but I know with noiseless it can't be perfect.

I play Blues, country, rock and a little heavy rock

Hope that helps!

Comment

Then, I would suggest the STK-S4. It is close to a traditional Strat, and will be closer in volume balance. In these cases, you have to prioritize what is more important. Another option is a boost pedal when you use the neck pickup.

Comment

How do you think the S4 would work with the Perpetual Burn? Would it be too powerful for balance? I think the DCR of that pickup is 12.

And for my own education, what do you look for when trying to pair single/humbucker pickups?
          are you trying to match resistance?

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

The PB might be touch louder than the S4. What I look for is a balance between the tone I want and the output. DCR isn't output...especially when comparing different pickup types. Look at the DCR of the YJM set...it is crazy, but the pickups aren't that loud.

Comment

I'm guessing the single coil on your Strats? You sound like a buddy of mine. He does this kind of **** all the time and ends up in these conundrums. LOL
              Have you thought about, and this is just a wild thought, but using something like what Steve Vai uses on his sig PIA for the middle bridge? Pretty sure not noiseless.
              Different company.. (UtoPIA middle bridge)
              Good luck with that.

Comment

To match humbuckers, I find the Vintage Hot Stack (STK-S7) to be a better match, output-wise, without losing the Strat tone.
                Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

The Vintage Hot Stack is a little too compressed feeling (and sounding) for good Strat tone, but it does solve the volume problem nicely.

Comment

Just Sunday morning musing here, but I wonder how a Hot Rails might pair with that PB? I think it could be a cool (hot?) pairing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      Just Sunday morning musing here, but I wonder how a Hot Rails might pair with that PB? I think it could be a cool (hot?) pairing.
                      It would be great! But it wouldn't sound like a normal single.

Comment

Considering the rail approach, both the cool rail and hot rail parallel extremely well to selves. Once again not a perfect classic tone, but much closer than in series.

One of my favorite setups is with either rail is defaulting to parallel for a Stratish sound and returning to series with the flick of a switch... provides an excellent increase in volume and thicker tone for leads.
                        What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Working...
                        X