Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use SD pickups this way?

Hi,

I've a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind helping with. Apologies if already asked, I did check for answers in the forum.

1) I have a Fender American Professional II Stratocaster. It has the push/pull tone pot fitted.

If I want to fit SD SSL-2 as the neck and middle pickups and an SSL-6 as the bridge pickup, can I use the existing push/pull pot to give the series/parallel option? Or, do I need to fit a standard pot and just use the 5-way selector as the case in a typical strat?

2) Guitar currently has the V-Mod IIs fitted. Would the SD pickups offer much of a change? I appreciate I may get biased answers here. I like to typically play blues, rock/classic rock, pop (on occassion). Nothing too heavy that I'd need totally different pickups for.

Thanks for your help.

Its possible to wire two single coils via pushpull to parallel and series. The SCs should be normal and rwrp to get get full function of a humbucker. Two caveats: SC have a high inductance and loose a lot of highs in series. So most users prefer a bridge and middle SC to do a humbucker wiring. In your case the ssl-6 is not a good candidate for a series wiring.
    Another thought: use a StagMag humbucker to combine it with a pushpull.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
      Its possible to wire two single coils via pushpull to parallel and series. The SCs should be normal and rwrp to get get full function of a humbucker. Two caveats: SC have a high inductance and loose a lot of highs in series. So most users prefer a bridge and middle SC to do a humbucker wiring. In your case the ssl-6 is not a good candidate for a series wiring.
      Another thought: use a StagMag humbucker to combine it with a pushpull.
      Thanks for the reply. The middle pickup is RWRP but from what you're saying it wouldn't work great with the ssl-6 anyway.

Comment

Agree with hamerfan. With a push pull and a SSL2/2/6 set my recommendation would be to get a tapped SSL6 and use the switch to go between the normal and tap.

Like this: https://www.bluestarmusic.com/Seymou...te_p_2953.html

Re your question of much difference between v mods and this, the main difference would be in the bridge due to the output being higher. The neck would be brighter. The stagger difference is not big but I find it easier to adjust when the stagger is flat.
        Last edited by Blille; 01-29-2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
          Agree with hamerfan. With a push pull and a SSL2/2/6 set my recommendation would be to get a tapped SSL6 and use the switch to go between the normal and tap.

Like this: https://www.bluestarmusic.com/Seymou...te_p_2953.html

Re your question of much difference between v mods and this, the main difference would be in the bridge due to the output being higher. The neck would be brighter. The stagger difference is not big but I find it easier to adjust when the stagger is flat.
          Thanks for taking the time to reply

Comment

Working...
          X