Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup configuration HSH Strat advice

Hello everyone,

I am currently remodding my first ever guitar (Fernandes 97' strat style) and looking at my pickup configuration.

I am thinking on a JB SH-4 in the bridge and a YJM fury in the middle.

For the neck position I am torn between the Little 59' or the Hot Rails.

Im a big Iron Maiden fan and I do like Dave Murray's sound with the Hot Rails in the neck, but Im afraid the clean sounds might be a bit too harsh and not sure how it willl play at the 2 position with a single coil in the middle.

I been playing off and on for 15 years but never really had the opportunity to mod a guitar.
    ​​​​​​​
    Any suggestions are welcome and I thank everyone for your time!

Welcome to the forum!
    The Hot Rails in the neck isn't harsh. It is warm and smooth, and that includes the clean sounds. It isn't as dynamic as lower-output pickups, but that isn't the Maiden sound anyway.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum!
      The Hot Rails in the neck isn't harsh. It is warm and smooth, and that includes the clean sounds. It isn't as dynamic as lower-output pickups, but that isn't the Maiden sound anyway.
      Thanks for the welcome!

Oh ok I understand, I suppose I have to youtube sound tests of the hot rail and little 59 and make up my mind. I appreciate the insight on the hot rails.

I think the YJM will be good for the cleaner tones and add some versatility to the build.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

The YJM will be quieter than the outside 2 pickups. Options to deal with that are monkey with all of the pickup heights, leave it be, or choose another hot pickup for the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          The YJM will be quieter than the outside 2 pickups. Options to deal with that are monkey with all of the pickup heights, leave it be, or choose another hot pickup for the middle.
          That makes sense, I'll probably lean into putting a little 59' in the middle and just do an HHH build with the hotrails in the neck and the Full JB SH4 at the bridge. Just hoping the clean channel will sound smooth
          Thanks for the insight!

Comment

both the hot rails and lil 59 are pretty warm sounding pups so shouldnt be harsh on the clean channel

Comment

Whatever decision you choose if you add a pushpull for split the hums and a switch to connect the neck pickup in the bridge position, it will give you tons of tones..
              also you can add another pushpull for in/out of phase

Comment

Originally posted by Jbaena View Post
                Whatever decision you choose if you add a pushpull for split the hums and a switch to connect the neck pickup in the bridge position, it will give you tons of tones..
                also you can add another pushpull for in/out of phase
                Oh wow, I never thought of that - I'm such a newbie at this, I'll look into it - I prefer the one volume and one tone knob so this is a great idea to add versatility

I appreciate the suggestion

Comment

On Strats I prefer push-push switches,which do exactly the same things as push-pulls, but I simply cannot get a good grip to pull Strat knobs.

And please, no "pulling your knob" jokes, today's best thread title on linked is already " who remembers having an 8-inch floppy?"

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                    On Strats I prefer push-push switches,which do exactly the same things as push-pulls, but I simply cannot get a good grip to pull Strat knobs.

And please, no "pulling your knob" jokes, today's best thread title on linked is already " who remembers having an 8-inch floppy?"
                    hahah

Thats a good pointer, saw a yotube comparison and they defs look easier easier.

This guitar will defs be the fanciest and most versatile ive owned!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Yeah, I use S1 switches for this reason.

Comment

I can't even get my pinkey in an S1.

Comment

i like the push/push pots but ive had a few wear out, or at least stop working. im not easy on things though. the s1 can do a lot more than a typical dpdt switch

Comment

'Normal' push/push pots last about a year. That's a business idea: make a push/push pot that actually works for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                            X