No announcement yet.

Need Help Dialing a Les Paul in.....looking at possibly Phat Cats or P Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Dialing a Les Paul in.....looking at possibly Phat Cats or P Rails

I have an early Les Paul Classic, gorgeous guitar, great neck, really like it....but the sound is pretty bright....I've tried BKP Mules, SD 59's and JB's....and it just stays bright, I have a few of these, so I know it's probably partially the wood tone....I've never tried fat cat P90's or P Rails before....I was just thinking if I can't get it done with Buckers, I do like P90's....think that might add some lower end growl to it? If I can't figure it out, she's going up for sale, which would be a shame. Running a modded Blackstar HT60 and a Splawn Quickrod btw.

Welcome to the forum!

Phat Cats can still sound pretty bright. P-Rails might be a good choice, but there are certain settings (of used with Triple Shots) which might make your problem worse. I might look at a set of Alnico II Pros, which sound like 2 sticks of butter. Not bright at all.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is the neck bright or only the bridge? You could change the volume pot on the bridge to 250k. That would be an easy solution. I've never encountered a neck hb that I thought was too bright.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

LP Classic 1960 owner here. Got one with the snot green inlays. I swapped the original pickups for a pair of Gibson Classic ‘57 (+). Some people consider these to be dark and lifeless due to combination of wax potting, even wound coils and Alnico II magnets; but I found these to be a perfect match with my LP Classic for old school LP sounds. I left the wiring harness stock, just a pickup swap.

Comment

'99 LP Classic Owner here. My classic is an oddball among my 3 other LPs. It's bright but compared to the others it lacks growl and a fundamental tone. If you cut the highs, you get a more dull/lifeless than warm tone. In my book it's the skinny lightwheight neck combined with a heavy body (over 10 lb).
          Some folks suggested to add a brass stoptail piece with steel studs and heavier tuners like Grovers.
          Last edited by hamerfan; 02-01-2022, 08:35 AM.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

PC's are brighter than most humbuckers I've messed with. I second the APH recommendation.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
              PC's are brighter than most humbuckers I've messed with. I second the APH recommendation.
              Is there a specific model you would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                Ok, so you were recommending the Alnico 2 Pro I take it....I also see that the Pearly Gates is an Alnico II.....I have those in another Les Paul and they are quite nice....Is there a huge tonal difference between the two?

Comment

The PGs have more high end and less mids than the Alnico II Pro.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by BlueMagic View Post

Ok, so you were recommending the Alnico 2 Pro I take it....I also see that the Pearly Gates is an Alnico II.....I have those in another Les Paul and they are quite nice....Is there a huge tonal difference between the two?
                    Basically what Mincer said. I hear a little more grind in the high/high mids of the PG's that I don't hear in the APH. I also hear a little less low end in the PG. The APHn is pretty creamy in comparison.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

+1 on a 250K volume pot. You can clip a 470K resistor between the outside lugs of the stock 500K pot to try it out.
                      250K doesn't simply dampen treble, it actually alters a pickup's overall character slightly, lowering the resonant peak.
                      Usually gives better cleanup when you roll back, too, an often overlooked benefit.

As for pickups, I wouldn't choose the PG bridge for a bright thin-sounding LP.
                      If you're modding, you might try an A6 magnet in your 59B or the Mule bridge.

Myself, I'd be tempted to consider the CustomCustom for a guitar like that.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Yes - let's talk about the tone pots and your use of them....

What is in there and how do you use it, if you use it?
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Roll off your tone. Idk why everybody feels the need to be wide open all the time.

Comment

I prefer warm, full tones...for me A2P & WLH work well for that. A great bridge pickup with high output is a Custom with an A8 magnet, aka Custom 8, C8.

Comment

Originally posted by BluesMan335 View Post
                              I prefer warm, full tones...for me A2P & WLH work well for that. A great bridge pickup with high output is a Custom with an A8 magnet, aka Custom 8, C8.
                              Another vote for the WLH set. Here is a review I wrote up on them

Comment

Working...
                              X