banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual Resonance - Mismatched Coils Ratio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Resonance - Mismatched Coils Ratio?

I'm currently gathering information of different DiMarzio pickups to get a better understanding of what I like/dislike when buying new pickups and I'm wondering about the Dual Resonance patent.
    Does someone have measured the coils of some models with mismatched windings?
    Is there a specific ratio they share or how is the desired mismatch determined?

That information has been posted multiple times. I believe the recipe is same number of turns, different wire gauge on each bobbin. I don't know the numbers.

If you search Google and scope it to this site, you should get what you are looking for.

site:forum.seymourduncan.com dimarzio dual-resonance

Comment

I only have two with mismatched coils. These are my own measurements:

Dimarzio PAF PRO DP151 (F-spaced)
      * North Coil R=4.604k, L=2.12H
      * South Coil R=4.263k, L=2.06H
      * Humbucker Series R=8.867k, L=4.76H

Dimarzio FRED DP153 (F-Spaced)
      * North Coil R=4.626k, L=2.12H
      * South Coil R=6.023k, L=2.24H
      * Humbucker Series R=10.649k, L=4.86H

Comment

looking at those specs, id say the paf pro isnt a dual resonance pup and the fred is. totally possible the paf pro is too but the freds specs are more along the lines of what id expect to see with two different gauges of wire

Comment

Yep, there's a significant difference between ordinary coil offset and dual resonance.
          Most humbuckers with mismatched coils can't be considered dual resonance.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Lime View Post
            I'm currently gathering information of different DiMarzio pickups to get a better understanding of what I like/dislike when buying new pickups and I'm wondering about the Dual Resonance patent.
            Does someone have measured the coils of some models with mismatched windings?
            Is there a specific ratio they share or how is the desired mismatch determined?

Take a P90 sized DiMarzio DLX humbucker and you'll measure...
            5.3k & 2.25H on coil 1
            12k & 2.25H on coil 2

Now consider its "Tone Zone" counterpart:
            the two coils measure respectively 7.62k & 8.48k,
            each with 3.45H of inductance.

IOW: there's not specific ratio. The "desired mismatch" depends on the model involved.

FWIW.

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Thanks a lot for the insights.
              I see, it's about inductance that has to match. I assume that models with similar resistances have similar mismateches then?
              Like a Dimarzio IGNO(12.69k) and a Norton (12.62k) are probably the same pickups with different pole pieces (hex) and magnets (A8).
              Satchur8 (12.73k) also with Dual Resonance is pretty much the same as IGNO but with Virtual Vintage slugs.

Comment

Is there anywhere a datasheet known, where inductance of different models is shown?

I found the pickup analysis at guitarnuts forum quite interesting. Especially the comparison between different Filtertron pickups.

Comment

Working...
                X