No announcement yet.

HH Strat Wiring Finished (For Now....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH Strat Wiring Finished (For Now....)

I flipped the magnet in the Jazz neck and wired it in backwards, giving me a RWRP humbucker in the neck. The bridge is a 59 / Custom Hybrid trembucker.

The five-way superswitch is wired to coil split to the slug coils in parallel in P2 and the screw coils in parallel in P4. Easy enough to do it the other way around if you prefer.

P1 gives both bridge coils in parallel. P3 gives all four coils in parallel. P5 gives both neck coils in parallel.

Independent volumes so I can de-select a coil or whole pickup by turning the volume down. Single tone with a 0.022 uF cap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	HH Strat Type Two Independent Vols One Tone Auto Coil Splits to Slugs in P2 Screws in P4.png Views:	0 Size:	357.5 KB ID:	6149727
    Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 02-04-2022, 05:07 PM.

so what do ya think?

Comment

Been out on a well pad for two weeks but so far so good. Everything works. That's a start :-)

Comment

Very similar to my Do it All wiring. I have it on most guitars.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ Yup. You're my inspiration

Comment

Haha, awesome. It really does work well.

Comment

What about adding push-pulls (or push-pushes) to series / parallel the humbuckers?

I could combine the two push-pulls into an S-1 so I either get both series or both parallel, not one on series one on parallel.

Waddayathink Mincer?

Click image for larger version

Name:	HH Strat Add Push Pulls for Series Parallel.png
Views:	117
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	6150263

Comment

I'm worried I could create dead spots in P2 and or P4.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                  What about adding push-pulls (or push-pushes) to series / parallel the humbuckers?

I could combine the two push-pulls into an S-1 so I either get both series or both parallel, not one on series one on parallel.

Waddayathink Mincer?

Name:	HH Strat Add Push Pulls for Series Parallel.png
Views:	117
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	6150263
                  I never dug the sound of humbuckers in parallel, unless they were very high output pickups, which I don't use anyway. If you like that sound, go for it.

Comment

Right now they're all in parallel. Even in P3. Sounds okay but I think having the option would be nice.

I'm working up a scheme where I don't, hopefully, get dead spots.

Will keep you posted.

Comment

The wiring scheme on the Fender Blacktop Strat is like this too. Super flexible and my favorite setup for a HH guitar.

Comment

Having them all in parallel could make them sound pretty bright, especially the hybrid. I love the Jazz neck but prefer it in series, same with the hybrid.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

This should work (although I haven't tried it) for achieving the same auto coil splits (slugs in P2, coils in P4) but with the humbucker coils in series "internally".

The basic idea is the standard auto coil split in P2, leaving only the slug coils active. The screw coil hot connections on banks B and D are jumped to B-4 and D-4 respectively, making the screw coils only active in P-4. The slug coils don't work in P-4 because the slug coil hots aren't connected on bank A (neck) or bank C (bridge).

Name:	HH Strat Type Two Independent Vols One Tone Auto Coil Splits to Slugs in P2 Screws in P4 SERIES.png
Views:	111
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	6150444

Comment

I've drawn a blank getting auto coil splits to work with a series / parallel option.

Best I can do would be to copy one of the circuit for the P-Rails, which should work for regular humbuckers as well, but which relies on push-pulls to coil split AND series / parallel and only needs a 3-way switch. I'm not sure it's hum canceling though.

Name:	2PRail_3G_2V_2TppSPL.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	6150466

Comment

Working...
                            X