Potential Pickup Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Pickup Help?

Hey guys, long time no see. I was active on the forum here in the early 2000s and again in the mid teens, and now (maybe) again in the early 2020s.

I have a question for the wiring gurus out there, although I'm sure I could solve it myself I don't have a good drawing software and I need to provide a wiring diagram to a shop that's fixing my rat's nest wiring.

Many moons ago I sent a nick pickup to JS Moore to have a coil tap wound for the slug coil. This means that the pickup has your standard 4-conductor wiring but also a fifth wire which allows you to tap the neck pickup. Rough cast A2 magnet. Additionally I replaced the 3 slugs on the bass strings with alnico 3 rod magnets which creates a narrower / more focused magnetic field under the bass strings when compared with a traditional humbucker design.

I wired it up in a deluxe telecaster as follows:

Neck Volume: 1 meg push-pull (series / parallel)
    Neck Tone: Dual ganged 100kb potentiometer (one gange rolls off the screw coil which faces the bridge, the other one rolls in the coil tap on the slug coil which faces the neck) - this means that (vs. a traditional tone knob) you actually modulate the thickness and timbre vs. the treble of the pickup
    Bridge Volume: 250k (JD bridge is b-r-i-g-h-t despite being A2)
    Bridge Tone: 500k master tone control

Now here's the conundrum. I took the guitar to Righteous Guitars in Roswell GA to get Plek'd and told them to clean up the wiring. Well, I guess the pickup used to be a Zhangbucker? Because they called Zhang to ask him and he thought it was his splat bucker, but that's not the case. I think it might have been wound by him before I sent it off to get modified? Or maybe I just re-used a baseplate as I used to chop up pickups pretty regularly for surgery and wouldn't always put them back together just right.

At any rate they don't have a good understanding of the wiring, and it was 8 years ago probably that I put everything together so I don't have any schematic. Plus to boot, even back in the day when it was working, the neck pickup was out of phase with the bridge. Would anyone have the time or energy to put together a wiring diagram for a 4-wire (I guess 5-wire technically) humbucker that I can provide to the shop so they can put humpty dumpty back together again? If not I'll try and figure something out this weekend, but I know the wiring wizards here are way smarter than I am so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Best,
    - Nick (which is my real name, when I made the account I thought Jimi James and the blue flames was the coolest name ever though)
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

When the humbucker is in parallel, did the dual-gang roll-off work?

Comment

This is my guess of what you had, just based on the description. (Someone else will have to check me if it's all right - I don't have these components in hand and have no way to test this right now.). With this drawing, if the humbucker is in parallel, the neck tone roll-off thing won't do anything.

Last edited by beaubrummels; 02-05-2022, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Here's a blank if someone else wants to try it.

Comment

You guys rock!!!!! I'll use this template because there's a twist: the neck pickup (when wired correctly) was out of phase with the bridge, so you have to flip the black and white wires as well as the red and green.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the two pots of the dual gange work in reverse of one another. Basically, as you roll in the higher output on the slug coil, you're progressively rolling out the screw coil altogether. So that way (at one extreme) you have a single coil (slug full output) and at the other extreme you have a humbucker (slug coil tapped). One second as I'm going to have to make this in microsoft paint

edit: poorly done but here's the general idea:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jimijames; 02-07-2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Just realized this won't work with the coil roll-off - because it's the start of the coil when you reverse the polarity it needs to be the black wire and coil tap wire running to the dual ganged pot which then runs to the right side of the push-pull potentiometer. Here's an updated diagram for anyone in the same situation (could possibly happen if you're wiring a telecaster with a bridge pickup in the neck which I *think* is what happened here causing all of the phase nonsense).

Does this look correct for what I've described?
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X