Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 way super switch vs 2 push/pulls for HH wiring

Hello all.

I'm in the planning stages for a HH strat pickguard (most likely a PGn/S Deco V bridge) and was considering wiring it up with a 3 way blade switch, independent volumes, and a master tone. I was thinking of using push/pulls for volume pots, so I could do parallel/series switching, giving me the standard 3 way humbucker sounds as well as 3 different parallel sounds and the ability to blend a parallel bridge with a series neck sound and vice versa.

Are these (in your opinion) useful sounds to have?

Would a 5 wat super switch with humbucker/inner coils in parallel/ neck and bridge in parallel/ outer coils in parallel/humbucker sounds be better overall?

Thanks, y'all!
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

The SD P-Rails wiring diagram with two push pulls gives you the choice of both P90 coils, both rail coils, both coils in each pickup in series or both coils in each pickup in parallel, but at the selector switch the two pickups combine in parallel.

Although developed for P-Rails, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for regular humbuckers, but you might still have to flip the magnet and reverse the wiring directions to get hum canceling.

Mincer and I have both come up with schemes using a 5-way switch that allow the selection of full humbuckers in P1, P3 and P5, both screw or slug coils in P2 and both slug or screw coils in P4, series or parallel, but not series and parallel.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
      The SD P-Rails wiring diagram with two push pulls gives you the choice of both P90 coils, both rail coils, both coils in each pickup in series or both coils in each pickup in parallel, but at the selector switch the two pickups combine in parallel.

Although developed for P-Rails, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for regular humbuckers, but you might still have to flip the magnet and reverse the wiring directions to get hum canceling.

Mincer and I have both come up with schemes using a 5-way switch that allow the selection of full humbuckers in P1, P3 and P5, both screw or slug coils in P2 and both slug or screw coils in P4, series or parallel, but not series and parallel.
      I'll look into those, thanks!
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thev5 way super switch combo would be better. You are only "missing the bridge pickup in parallel, which gets very shrill.

I like inner coils parallel for a more stratty sound, compared to the outers being more tele sounding

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
          Thev5 way super switch combo would be better. You are only "missing the bridge pickup in parallel, which gets very shrill.

I like inner coils parallel for a more stratty sound, compared to the outers being more tele sounding
          I agree with this.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X