DiMarzio fantom p90's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio fantom p90's

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the DiMarzio fantom p90's? I know they have 4 coils. I don't know why though. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of the fantom dogear p90's for my wildkat but was wondering if anyone knows what they sound like? I have not been able to find any information on them on the internet. Thanks everyone.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Phil mc knight has a pretty good video on youtube with them.

They are dual coil humbuckers that sound like p90s.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I thought they sounded really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
      Phil mc knight has a pretty good video on youtube with them.

They are dual coil humbuckers that sound like p90s.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I thought they sounded really good.
      I don't quite understand why the need for 4 coils? I can see it using one active coil and one fantom coil for hum cancellation but that would be 2 coils. And if it were a humbucker the that too would be 2 coils. Can you please explain why and how they are using 4 coils in one pickup (if you know)? Thanks alot for the help.
      But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

I don't quite understand why the need for 4 coils? I can see it using one active coil and one fantom coil for hum cancellation but that would be 2 coils. And if it were a humbucker the that too would be 2 coils. Can you please explain why and how they are using 4 coils in one pickup (if you know)? Thanks alot for the help.

wow, i just saw that!

now i also want to know!

Sorry, i thought they were just dual coil stacked humbuckers

Perhaps 2 area type pickups in series
        Last edited by Juanhanglo; 02-10-2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I see the forum software is still having issues with linking to images.
            And with editing any post that contains an image in it - even an image that isn't visible...
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've got 2 of them ordered, whenever they arrive I'm going to remove the dogear cover to switch covers and when I have it out of the cover I will look to see if I can tell how it's structured. Other than that I can't find any information on the web about them.

Comment

im curious what you find, four coils is pretty unique. especially for something that is theoretically two conductor

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  im curious what you find, four coils is pretty unique. especially for something that is theoretically two conductor
                  There being shipped out on the 20th so when I receive them I'll definitely let you guys know what I find out.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    I hope I'm not hijacking the OP's thread, but a long, long time ago, I bought a pup or two from a forum bro. They threw in (for free) a weird pair of Godin pups. Both coils are stacks. Each pup has 9 wires. The eight for the four coils, and a common baseplate ground. Besides the weird pole pieces, what you can't see in my pic is that the "rail" side is a gentle wave. It starts on the low E string, slightly above the bobbin, and gently rises a bit higher under the D string, then rolls back to the G string, then rises back up again to the high E string.

Totally bizarre. I've never hooked them up yet because the wiring possibilities boggle even my lil pea-brain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Godin_weired_pickups.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	6151871

Comment

ive seen those godin pups before but never wired em up. sounded decent when i heard em. these fantom p90s are two conductor and four coils per dimarzios site, as i said, im curious whats under the cover

Comment

For sure.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                        X