SSL5 bridge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL5 bridge question

i replaced yesterday on my blade strat the bridge pick up with a new SSL5,but it sounds to thin.Any suggestions what to do?

What pickup were you replacing? The SSL5 should be a good bit darker/middier than a regular output single coil. If you had a single sized humbucker, it's might well be brighter than that though.

As far as thin sounding pickups, playing with pickup height can make a difference. If you lower the whole pickup you will slightly soften the attack of the pickup (if the problem is that it's kinda barking too brash/loud). If it's too low you sometimes lose bass though, so give raising it right up a try as well. Also if you raise the bass side of the pickup a little higher than the treble you'll get more response from the bass strings, which can make a bright pickup sound a little more balanced to the ears.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The last word in the world I would use to describe an SSL-5, is "thin." Double, and triple check your wiring and solder connections. Something is wrong.

Comment

Does it sound thin in P1 (bridge only) or in P2 (bridge plus middle)? If in P2 it's possibly a phase issue. Seymour Duncan pickups are "south up" whereas Fenders are "north up". Try reversing the wiring connection, therefore.

Comment

I have a Texas Special/SSL-5 combo in a Squier Mustang. The SSL-5 is bright, but nit thin. I do have the wiring reversed on the Texas Special so that the pickups are in phase with each other in the middle position.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

If you have a tapped version and wired the tap to be 'normal', then it might sound thin. But an SSL-5 isn't thin, so something is wrong here. What are the other pickups? What diagram did you use?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I believe it's a wiring issue. I've got full set of SSL-5's and they're everything but thin sounding.

Comment

Working...
              X