Pots and cap for a P-Bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pots and cap for a P-Bass?

What options have you tried for precision bass pots and capacitor? I think 250K/250K is pretty standard. What taper have you used and cap value?

(I’ll check out the current value when I change strings) For now the brightness is great at full tilt, so if it’s 250/250 I’ll keep it. The tone seems a little more useful in the 5-10 range than the 0-5 range. On guitar I’d just not use the lower range but bass really works with rolled back tones.

I was thinking about a ToneStyler but for now a little tweak to a cap might be good.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Has anyone done a push/pull on the tone to do maybe .1uF/.022uF or .047uF/.01uF?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i dont know if .01 would be useful for bass but .1 and .022 might be cool. in general, 250k pots for bass is what ive always used. as far as taper, usually audio but for whatever reason i like linear from time to time. i have some 20% and 30% taper pots which are between audio (10%) and linear (50%) which i like a lot but never tried em on bass

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        i dont know if .01 would be useful for bass but .1 and .022 might be cool. in general, 250k pots for bass is what ive always used. as far as taper, usually audio but for whatever reason i like linear from time to time. i have some 20% and 30% taper pots which are between audio (10%) and linear (50%) which i like a lot but never tried em on bass
        I think figuring out if it’s .1 or .047 is obviously the first order of business. Was the 60’s style .1 like the Strats were?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i assume so

Comment

473K on an Orange Drop is .047uF right? (That’s what it is now)

I can just alligator clip in some alternates I think. The beauty of the P Bass pickguard!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              473K on an Orange Drop is .047uF right?
              Yup.

Comment

.1uF is mighty dark for guitar but might work for vintagey P-bass tone.
                .033 or .022 might feel a little more open than the .047 you've got.

I think a lot would depend on the type of amp tone you prefer - rubbery/driven or spanky/clanky could benefit from different caps.
                Also picked vs finger playing - a lower value like .015 might well leave more doink in the pick attack if you want that.

Using a push-pull with two different caps is perfectly feasible.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I didn't even like 22nf for bass. 47 and up is good I think. Any value volume pot is good depending on how much zing you like. My favorite pot for a tone is 250k no load audio taper.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                  X